1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Olympic Committee TV flap

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ringer, Jul 8, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I keep hoping the eyebrow's really his.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That's not going to happen.
    There's this little $5.7 billion issue. NBC (parent GE) has paid for exclusive rights in the United States for the Olympics throught 2012. Pretty sure, in this economy, the IOC won't want to fuck with that.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Only if it's on the Big Ten Network.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

And, as somebody noted, anything a USOC network would want to show, NBC has the rights to, and puts on the Universal Sports channel (which is a broadcast channel in our market, and a handful of other major and mid-major markets in the country).

Universal Sports was re-running a lot of Beijing Olympics coverage a couple of weeks ago.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

NBC has the rights to Olympic footage that was shot by ABC and CBS when they carried the Games?

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

I would think this was something that could be worked out with NBC. They would get money from showing programs over, and this would promote NBC Olympic coverage. I think it could be a win-win for the USOC and NBC

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Exclusive rights. They have their own cable channel. Almost $6 billion.
    What's so hard to understand?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Woo hoo! Team handball!

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

In at NY Times story today, Dick Ebersol says he and Juan Antonio Samaranch talked in 1999 about starting an Olympic channel in the U.S. that would eventually span the globe. NBC did a survey. About one-tenth of one percent of those surveyed were interested, and the plan was abandoned. I'm guessing USON will turn into USOFF.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Don't knock handball. It's extremely fun to watch live and looks like it would be a blast to play.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Just ask Jake Plummer. It's what he does now that he's retired.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

But NBC has Universal Sports, which does exactly what the USOC channel would do ... show the U.S. championships and World Championships in various sports, and lots of skiing, luge, curling, track, cycling, triathlon, marathon ... It's a 24/7 sports channel that is over the air (usually as an X.2 or X.3 digital channel) in many major markets.

Draft saved Draft deleted