1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US News: Best places to live

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DocTalk, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Understand the love for Durham. Completely agree with Jake_Taylor: It gets a bad, bad rap for not enough reason. Yes, the inner city is bad, but to hear some people complain about it, you would think Watts is some sort of country club.

Also get the love for Boise. Went there once ... would like to go again.

Do NOT get the love for Loveland, Colorado. The housing shot is another way of saying that real estate in Denver (to the South) and Fort Collins (to the north) is insane by comparison. Not a bad place by any means, but Top 10? Um, no.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Add the housing to the West in Summit County as well Sam.

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I'm not reading any love for La Crosse. The article didn't do it justice.

The city sits on the banks of the Mississippi surrounded by tall bluffs. Four wonderful seasons.

Metro population is about 100K, just enough to keep it interesting. It helps to have two universities, a technical college, two teaching hospitals and a fledgling high tech industry base.

It's an outdoor community with hundreds of miles of running and biking trails (literally), kayaking and canoeing on the Mississippi and other larger rivers plus world class fly fishing on the smaller streams. Winter brings cross country skiing, a world cup skiing jumping event and there is a small ski hill in town.

The universities have quality atheltic programs and there is a minor league team in town. A variety of theater companies, a symphony, lots opf live music in the clubs and how can you not appreciate the worlds largest six pack.

I'm sure there is more but I don't work for the chamber.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah ... people go ga-ga over Estes Park. *Snooze*

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Yay St. Augustine.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

There is a nice little park nearby ...

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I love Durham, would like to live there if ever I move back to the homeland.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Lacrosse parents suck. They're always complaining that their city tries just as hard as the other cities.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yeah, but their girls wear those little plaid skirts. BOING!

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Why is that cat typin on the keyboard [/brianfellows]

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Auburn? Bwaaahaahahaaaa.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What, they couldn't find a picture of Upper St. Clair to go with it?

http://www.usnews.com/listings/best-places-to-live/10

Draft saved Draft deleted