1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US men's basketball team loses Pan Am game to Uruguay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 27, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And who taught them to look at the freaking ball when they shoot?

Please don't tell me these simple idiots watch the flight of the ball through the air and are not focusing on the rim at all times.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I don't buy it, either. I'm just telling you what I've heard.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Actually, I would not be surprised if some did watch the ball considering the lack of coaching they get at a young level.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A couple things:
    1). I remember when the Pan Am Games were a pretty big deal. Now you can't even find coverage of them on an English-speaking cable network.
    2). In 1984, when the Bobby Knight coached team of college kids ran away with the gold in LA, Uruguay was one of the teams it played in the prelims. Some of the Uruguay players had guts and they looked like they got their uniforms from TJ Max or someplace like that.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I do feel bad for Drew. I covered him a lot in high school and am following his college career and it seems like the same pattern is forming here that there is at Michigan State: He works his butt off and gets no help.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This team (well some of it) should have gone to the World University Games.

There are 25 NBA players in the Senior Team's training camp in Vegas. They should have split that group up into two teams, sent one to the Pan Ams, and one to the Tournament of the Americas.

If we're not going to send the best players we have, why fuckin' bother??

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I know this might be dumb, but have they ever considered putting out a team to compete? Like, would they ever consider using Billy Donovan and the Florida Gators, for example?

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I say that because all these stories about cohesiveness always pop up. So why not let a team that has already bonded and been through a lot, give it a shot?

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

They're sending Northern Iowa to the World University Games.
    If that team gets clocked, what then?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The terrorists would have won.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Ask Dick Vitale.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dickie V would say no because they aren't DOOOOOOK.

Draft saved Draft deleted