1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US men's basketball team loses Pan Am game to Uruguay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Re: US men's basketball team loses Pan Am game to Uraguay

Well, the American were 3-for-21 from 3-point range, and they cut Chris Lofton from the roster at tryouts.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

2. Mmac

Mmac Guest

3-21 ...And they cut Lofton? When are the geniuses picking our international teams gonna realize having outside shooters is EXTREMELY important in International ball. It's been the same damn story in nearly every international loss going all the way back to the 88 Olympics.

And why do U.S. players seem to shoot so much worse from long range in international ball than they do here. Is the International ball a different weight or something?

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This will remain a problem a long as international basketball embraces thre 3-pointer and defending the 3, while American coaches would rather the shot not exist, and coach accordingly.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The problem is that the Euros and South Americans play team basketball and we don't. We were cocky, thinking that no one would catch up to us and we've been surpassed by the rest of the basketball playing world.

5. Hammer Pants

And Lofton's not just a 3-point shooter any more. For proof, how bout watching, oh, I don't know, any game he played last season. Leaving him off the roster was completely inexcusable. How can a few bad days at a tryout outweigh a dazzling season (despite a bum ankle that's now 100%).

You could argue that it would make more sense to put him on the Senior team than leave him off the B-Squad. The way he was playing before the ankle injury last season (when he scored humiliated Memphis and hit the game-winner from 439 feet over Durant against Texas) was as good as Redick's peak at Duke.

6. Mmac

Mmac Guest

439 FEET! Damn, now that's the kind of long range shooting we need.

But seriously, making Lofton's ommision look even worse, I believe Wright gave one of those guard spots to Scottie Reynolds who plays for him at Villanova. He's set himself up for legitimate favoritism criticism by making that selection over Lofton.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

BTW: It's Uruguay... think we can spell it right in the thread title?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Couldn't Roy Williams' Tarheels whoop most international teams? Am I wrong in thinking this?

If they complain about not knowing each other on the court, just take an established college team. I know this causes all kinds of problems, but it would be interesting to see.

Changing focus now...

When you play international ball you have to be an attentive defender. Many of our kids start playing D when their man catches the ball. You have to shadow your man every second they are on the court. A drop in concentration will mean an open look, and with good shooters, two or three points.

A player like Nowitzki will destroy you if you do not shadow him at all time.

http://www.usabasketball.com/history/hsum_1998.html

The International Team committed 30 turnovers and still won. It was made easier by the USA fouling out five players while trying to get those 30 steals. The US also clanked 18 triples while making only five. 15 points scored in 23 shots. Wonderful.

I also love how the assistant was a freaking AAU coach.

We suck, have sucked, and we will suck.

Thank you AAU.

9. Hammer Pants

Yeah, they couldn't have used this guy...

Those who say he's not an NBA player are fools.

10. Hammer Pants

And to answer your other question, I don't think the ball weighs any different, but it does have those couple of white spots that make it look funny. I've heard guys complain about that.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If the NBA kids stayed for all four years, what would our amateur team look like?

Durant, Oden, Horford, Conley, Aldridge, Bynum, Marvin Williams, O'Bryant, Gay, Thomas, Green, Brewer and Wright would all of been thought of for this team. Still no shooters, but the talent level just increased dramatically.

We really cannot compare these kids to the teams of the past talent wise. But we sure need to stick a Mullin or Alford on these teams.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There was a tail wind...

Draft saved Draft deleted