1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US crew overtakes Somali pirates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Apr 8, 2009.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No, but there's a political agenda behind anyone calling them "Muslim terrorists."

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't understand Somalia. I gather they don't have a deep water port, which kind of leaves them screwed, but you figure any country with that much coastal access in that part of the world would be valuable to someone for something more than nickel and dime piracy.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not worth the headaches, as both we and the Italians learned. Besides, we have a presence in the region at much-friendlier Djibouti.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm surprised. Normally the Pirates aren't eliminated until June.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I had started to type, "speak softly & carry a big stick" but since Obama didn't say anything, I didn't post it.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Way to go Navy seals! Way to fucking go.

7. jps

jps Active Member

asked mrs. jps the same question -- go in and give it a little hole .... slowly starts to sink and those pirates are gonna wanna get on a boat pretty quick.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I posted this story on a different thread...this is the best-written article in print in 2009, and it's about the Somali pirates...

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2009/04/somali-pirates200904

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I wondered why we didn't pay the ransom -- w/ fake bills (not that the 20 year old Somalis would know!) and then kill them after they turned over the captain.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

SEALS, wow. Nice work.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Latest wire story:

WASHINGTON (AP) — A U.S. military official says Navy Seals and other officers opened fire on three pirates when a Navy commander made a split-second decision that an American hostage's life was in danger.

Vice Adm. Bill Gortney also says the pirates made a ransom demand for the release of Capt. Richard Phillips.

Gortney says the pirates threatened throughout the ordeal to kill Phillips. Gortney says the pirates were armed with AK-47s and small-caliber pistols, and were pointing the AK-47s at the captain.

Gortney says the commander of the nearby USS Bainbridge believed Phillips was in "imminent danger" when he ordered sailors to fire at the armed pirates.

Gortney says the White House had given "very clear guidance and authority" that if any time Phillips' life was in danger to take action.

Gortney spoke in a conference call from Bahrain.

Great job, Seals and special forces.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted