1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US crew overtakes Somali pirates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Grimace

Grimace Guest

How do you aim a gun that precisely while your boat is bobbing up and down? Or was it down from somewhere else?

Either way, those guys are pretty badass shooters.

2. Yeah.
    Chuck Norris read that story this morning and went "Dammmn!"

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Tebow could've done it in two.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

SEALS vs. pirates
    Strike 3 and out!

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Depends on the water conditions, I suppose. If it's fairly calm to glassy conditions, probably not a problem.

I also join the chorus that sings "They pointed an AK at his head/For all their sins, they were shot dead." :D

I fully expect the last of those statements to be deployed by the Larded One on his radio show this week.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm sure they train quite frequently on shooting in those conditions. I mean, that's one of their primary operating environments.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They keep asking for trouble ...

http://rssfeeds.usatoday.com/~r/TP-OnDeadline/~3/UbXIPdylWRU/somali-insurgents-fire-mortars-at-departing-us-lawmaker.html

I do not, however, think any further intervention will happen unless the plan is radically different from what lame-duck Bush 41 went with in December 1992.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Pirates should have 200 years of history to know better than to fuck with the US of A.

The US Navy: Kicking pirate ass since 1801.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh yes. The wing-nuts who were huffing that Obama was a limp-wristed pansy-boy will now be pissing and moaning about his brutality.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

In this case, I have zero problem with the SEALS shooting to kill. Zero problem.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Reading that I can't help but think the Navy guys decided they were tired of fucking around with these animals and opted to end the "negotiations" as soon as the opportunity presented itself. The captain was in "Imminent danger" the minute he was captured so I'm not sure what they could have seen that would have made them decide they had to start shooting.

And if that's what happened I have absolutely no problem with it. Negotiating with these guys is a waste of time. So is arresting them.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Except for the Jimmy Carter/Ted Koppel era.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted