1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US-Australia hoops

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Aug 27, 2006.

1. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

That is so true I think Larry started to lose his edge ever since he won the NBA Title with the Pistons.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Larry is forever falling in and out of love with teams, which limits his considerable ability. K is less of a romantic, which is a big advantage. K creates wonderful teams, but if I had a kid who played, I think he might learn more individual stuff from Larry.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Quit fellating Kur-se-zoo-ski. It's freaking Australia!

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Funny stuff. Made me chuckle.

I prefer the AP's version of his last name Shuhshevskee ;D

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

He never makes the jump. He had two very lucrative NBA offers (Celtics, Lakers) and turned 'em down. Can a 50-something transition to NBA life?

6. The NBA wants Krzyzewski way more than he wants the NBA. At this stage, he doesn't need it. He's like the senior star who wants one more go-around in college and a shot at another Final Four, except that there's no telling how long a "season" he plans to stick around for.

One thing's certain: The college game is poorer the day he calls it quits.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Maybe this U.S. team can put to rest the ridiculous notion that the rest of the world has caught up to the U.S. in basketball. That's such BS. There's not another country on the planet that can assemble 12 NBA-caliber players, whereas the U.S. could probably put together at least three or four teams capable of doing exactly what this one is doing in the World Championships. Other countries have improved, obviously, and occasionally one of them may give the U.S. a run, but when the Americans are playing to their strength, i.e. playing pressure defense and pushing the ball up the court, they show just how big a gap there still is between the U.S. and everybody else.

8. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Hopefully, everyone read Scoop Jackson's brilliant and extremely informative piece before watching the game.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=906

I don't know where I'd be without Scoop's insightful NBA knowledge.

(Scoop's Best: Adam Morrison needs to be on this team? Guess he loves white guys now.)

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

A 40-point win and LeBron only scores 5 points -- that's Larry Brown's wet dream right there.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't think Krzyzewski would do as well with an NBA team, because then you get back into the superstar-entitlement ego-trip problem which sinks so many other NBA coaches. Plus then the Fraschilla/Larry Brown conventional-thinking chorus would get on his case, repeating ad nauseam why you can't play pressure defense in the NBA, can't play hard for 48 minutes, can't keep playing hard with a big lead, can't play all 12 players on the bench, yadda yadda.

The reason this team is doing well is that no one player -- not LBJ, not D-Wade, not Melo -- is indispensable, and everybody knows it, and K can coach like it. Of course there are some massive egos there (including Krzyzewski to be sure), but the message has gotten through: Nobody wins unless everybody wins.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I didn't get that from this. It wasn't so much pressure defense as it was TEAM defense that blew the Aussies out of the water. For as much as Fraschilla blasted them, it WAS when they didn't gamble, but just played lockdown man, that they were impenetrable.

Self-serving much?

12. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Is it ever really self-serving to throw another log on the Scoop-bashing fire?

Draft saved Draft deleted