1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Attorneys Canned, Part Trois

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think that every administration for the past, oh I don't know, 100 years has had a whole lot of gross misconduct, abuse of power and/or way too much funny business going on to act shocked, outraged or even mildy pissed off about any of this stuff.

The bottom line is as long as this country continues to elect people from the two prevailing parties, we will continue to get this kind of nonsense and the only thing that will change is the names and faces of people we drag before congressional investigations and grand juries.

And the only the thing that changes is the tone and content of the rhetoric and the sound bytes of the opponents screaming and yelling about these perceived acts of lawlessness.

We had a chance in 1992 to move forward as a country and send a clear message by electing a third-party candidate but said candidate fucked up and the country panicked about it. I had hope in 1998 when Jessie the Body kicked their ass in Minnesota, but alas few other states had the courage to follow so as far as I am concerned, as long as we have the same power hungry career politicians -- most of whom have far more in common than they have differences --winning every election we will get the same bullshit we always get.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

In summary: Everyone does bad stuff, so it's OK? No specific thoughts on the current scandal?

3. zagoshe

No, in summary I think the 1990's taught us that "scandal" is a very relative term and is usually used far more often by the party that is not in the Oval Office than by anyone else.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Ahh, moral relativism.

5. zagoshe

And further let me ask you this -- which is worse (and that is assuming either is bad)-- throwing campaign director's a few bones by allowing them to influence certain policies and/or appointments or throwing certain influential and powerful Chinese communists a bone by giving them influence on certain foreign policies in exchange for a brinks truck being backed up to your campaign headquarters?

I'm not going to make value judgements, but I know which way I'd lean and which one makes me far more nervous.

But once again, that all boils down to this -- Are you really shocked and outraged that a politician allowed one of his powerful friends to influence and/or dictate some appointments? I mean, that's how politics these days work....

It is always a money trail and the price of bidding usually begins at, well, the price of a night in the Lincoln bedroom during the 1990's......

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And please, don't let's be holding Jesse The Mind up as some paragon of good governance.

The man was colorful and interesting for the press corps. He was also incompetent and nearly bankrupted his state.

7. zagoshe

Oh I am quite sure he had plenty of help in that department. The problem with being a third-party guy who wins is you have both sides gunning for you and no real allies, which is one of the major flaws in our system unfortunately.

And besides my point wasn't that Jesse the Body was a great governor, it was that a state had the courage to elect a third-party candidate and thus send a very loud and clear message to the one two major-parties that they've had enough of their bullshit......

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, Ventura beat Norm Coleman, I'll say that for him.

The fact that that man got sent to the Senate is one step before frogs falling from the sky.

Watching him backpedal from Bush these past few months has been funny, but the man is a virus.

But Jesse nearly bankrupted the state by spending the entire budget surplus on $350 checks to every person in Minnesota right after he got elected.

That didn't look like such a good idea about October, 2001.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Or the late 1980s, with a certain, drug-addled, racist radio ignoramus commentator, who enjoyed the same comfy night in the same Lincoln Bedroom.

You're absolutely right, Zag. It does work both ways.

It will work to the benefit of more people approximately 620 days from now.

10. zagoshe

How much did Rush Limbaugh pay for the night in the Lincoln Bedroom? And what happens approx. 620 days from now?

Oh that's right, another puppet from this country's major party will enter the office with more debts to special interests than his check book should legally be able to pay back.......and depending on what party he/she is from, regardless of his own merits or lack thereof as a candidate, he'll/she'll either save or destroy the day depending on which side of the party you sit.

11. What in the fuck are you talking about?
    And if this is about Loral and the Chinese, remember very well that nobody passed anyone any secrets. How do I know? Congressional investigators told me so.

12. It is different.
    The law says it's different.
    And Susan McDougal did what exactly, besides not talk to Ken Starr?
    Throwing out names like confetti is not making an argument.
    I have no heroes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.