1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Attorneys 86'ed --Part Deux

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 13, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

We already were, watching Gonzales verbally twist himself into a pretzel trying to have it every way.

On one hand, he told Dianne Feinstein he didn't read the performance evaluations of the attorneys in question. On the other, it was his decision to fire them.

The question begs (and remains unanswered)... why?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And then Coburn tried to give him an out...

"Is it possible that there were just personality conflicts?"

Gonzales: No.

And Coburn shakes his head as if he were dealing with a developmentally disabled person.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

W -- standing by incompetents since 2000

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And here's the thing, Ace. Gonzo's stubborness on this simply reinforces W's will to keep him on.

Basically, if the Democrats want him gone, then that's all the more reason to keep him, never mind his abject lack of credibilty on this or any other issue affecting the DoJ for the duration of this abomination (641 more days accd. to my calendar).

Told my wife this morning, even his own party wants him gone, but unlike Nixon, this administration is a bit more dense on these matters.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Has any other administration had so many incompetent people in top levels -- not just corrupt or shady folks but just downright incompetent -- and had the backing of the White House for so long?

It's really amazing.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You know what will make you want to cry? Dig up Bradlee's memoir and read the parts about JFK's nomination of his brother and the firestorm around his qualifications for the job.

Bobby Kennedy or Alberto Gonzales? Hmmmm.....

8. [​IMG]

And this is why it matters.
    http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/003075.php
    Politicize Interior, and we lose some trees. Politicize the DOJ and innocent people go to jail.

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Why couldn't I get these people to do my yearly evals at my last paper? I could've gotten more than a 1.5% raise.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/04/20/national/w103546D30.DTL&type=politics

04-20) 12:28 PDT WASHINGTON (AP) --

The Bush White House called embattled Attorney General Alberto Gonzales "our No. 1 crime fighter" Friday, a day after Gonzales' often halting explanations for the firings of eight federal prosecutors brought additional demands for his resignation.

"He has done a fantastic job in the Department of Justice," deputy press secretary Dana Perino told reporters traveling aboard Air Force One as President Bush headed for a speech in Michigan.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're doing a heck of a job, Alby.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And here's where the press corps has to grow some nuts. If that's what they're going to keep saying, you have to roast them.

I still remember the nitwits whimpering after Rumsfeld got canned, "But, but, you said you wouldn't."

The rats are leaving this ship, folks. Go find someone to tell you he's getting canned. That's the story. Not this mealy-mouthed shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted