1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Airways Plane in the Hudson River (Anniversary)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 15, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Re: US Airways Plane in the Hudson River

Amazing stuff hearing the radio traffic. Sullenberger clearly had a handle on things, but the ATCs, already juggling a bunch of other stuff, seemed right on it.
    Granted that's their job, but considering this isn't something that happens frequently, they seemed automatic in their responses to the calls for help.
    I wish all people would respond that quickly when the need arose.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Do we KNOW this was Sullenberger on the tapes? I'm confused.
    Normally, in a situation like that, the co-pilot does the radio.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Sully both flew the plane and worked the radio because the co-pilot (who handled the takeoff and was flying the plane until the collision, at which time Sully said, "My plane") was going through the engine restart checklist.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

And I'm sure, by now, having talked to other pilots that know him, Sully would have fessed up to it not being him

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

It's him on the tape. See Clerk Typist's post. That is what has been reported.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Ok, just a few pilots called a show I was listening to yesterday, they said it might not be him.
    They also said don't doubt that the co-pilot was just as calm.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090207/ap_en_tv/tv_hero_pilot_1

The media frenzy about this is almost worth a post of its own. Apparently 60 Minutes is controlling access to the flight crew until after the show airs. I understand a media outlet hoping to control and protect its exclusive, but I don't understand what leverage they may have on the interview subjects unless money is changing hands.
    This story is bizarro land for people so accustomed to saying "the public has a right to know" and free speech and all that.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hmmm... in another space and time, it would remind me of Joann Barnas and Sheila Toarmina

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, that settles it. ::)

Although I agree about the co-pilot. Whole crew had a tremendous response.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

In my little corner of the aviation world, the guy who is not "on the controls," or not physically flying the aircraft handles most everything other than the flying of the aircraft. Radio calls, preparing for approaches, navigation, some emergency procedures, etc.

Before we fly we have a crew briefing and we divy up the duties. Most of the time we brief that the pilot on the controls at the time of an emergency has the responsibility to perform the immediate and underlined emergency procedures (the most important ones are underlined in our manuals) without reference to the checklist.

The person on the controls must be prepared to fly it to the ground, in the event of an emergency. However, the pilot-in-command, the person with the most experience, is normally expected to come on the controls ("my plane," he said) and land the aircraft if time permits.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

tbf, that is the way most aviation is done, but I think in this case, it would be different.

My coworker's sister is an FA and has flown with Sully multiple times. She's listened to the tape. It's him.

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The 60 minutes piece was incredible.

Draft saved Draft deleted