1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urgent, need help finding Chi-town hotels!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Aug 25, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Just got an invite today from a friend to attend his engagement dinner in Chicago, but the dinner is Sept. 8, a Saturday. His place is Sky 55 on South Michigan, apparently a few blocks away from Soldier Field. Anyone know of some decent hotels in that area that won't break my wallet?

2. Unfortunately, he's close enough to the lake that prices are not going to be a barrel of laughs.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I've noticed. :(

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Did you also notice that you preset the draft order in the fantasy league?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Let us know what a night at the Marriott there goes for these days.

I always enjoy a good laugh...

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Shit, man, looks like you can hit the downtown Marriott for $310 a night.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Westin there is exquisite... I always have a media rate when I stay there and it's still usually in the $150 range. I'll bet it's at least twice that.

When I go to Chicago on my own dime, I stay in the outskirts, usually at a Courtyard. If you look around and use a AAA discount, you can find one in the $95-$125 range...

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If it's just one night, I'd say go for it and stay downtown. If it's more than one night, take Mizzou's advice.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Staying at O'Hare is also considerably cheaper than staying downtown...

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

A few things:

1) I thought I set the draft order to random

2) We're staying just one night. The GF is a kindergarten teacher, so an extended stay is out of the question. But we do want to see the Field Museum, Soldier Field and Grant Park, so it's probably best trying to find someplace in that vicinity.

3) I checked out Expedia and the price for the flight & a one-night stay at the Mariott on the Magnificent Mile is $449 per person. The Sheraton is about $400 while the Inn of Chicago is in the mid $300s.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Phila

$449 Per Person?

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted