1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

URGENT! BULLETIN! FLASH!! Beckham *thinking* of playing in 2-3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!1

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2007-10-04-1919151474_x.htm

Undoubtedly worth a 20-inch story. ::)

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Huge props for the thread title. :)

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Starman, we've been down this road before.

David Beckham is a huge story worldwide, no matter your personal views on international football. Bigger than Michael Jordan was here in the States during his playing days, bigger than any NFL player and certainly bigger than any MLB player.

If Tiger Woods were similarly injured and projected out for a few months, only to make an earlier-than-expected return, you can bet your Manchester United or L.A. Galaxy kit we would be bombarded with stories about any window of hope that he comes back.

To those who don't like soccer, it can easily be viewed as overkill. But, considering his injuries, if he can come back, it's big news.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Sorry, Sam, I'm with Starman here.
    Beckham is a tease.

5. Haven't we been here before?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That's fine, Markvid. But still a question remains that none of us can answer?

Is Beckham a tease? Is some PR flak a tease for leaking this? Or is it a media sort who feels this is newsworthy and therefore must enlighten the masses?

No, I'm not wearing a Beckham kit as I ask this. But I think, given the way Becks has conducted himself, that he gets benefit of the doubt before we give this a media whore type of label the way I would with either Michael Jordan or Roger Clemens.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, I won't say media whore for him.
    However, I realize this is a typical part of soccer, but I still feel that if you sign for that kind of money for a team, you owe them 100% of your time, etc.
    Like I said, when you factor in European soccer, I know this type of business goes on a lot, but it's just not something we are used to in this country and I'm not sure, as an owner, I'd ever go down that path.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm starting to think David Beckham is to Starman what Bill Belichick is to rokski.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Did someone yell for me?

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

What has Beckham not given to the Galaxy?
    He played 90 minutes of soccer for them vs. Chivas after flying across the ocean and across the North American contintent and having played 90 minutes for England about 28 hours before.
    Try to tell me you'd get that kind of commitment out of your typical baseball player. Please. Ken Griffey Jr. won't even play a day game after a night game -- and he consumes about a quarter of the Reds' payroll.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When does the MLS regular season start?

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

What is this "MLS" of which you speak?

Draft saved Draft deleted