1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He would be 3/4. If Pete Carroll were still in college I would make him 2 and Saban 3. I also think you could make a
    case for Chris Peterson being in top 5.

2. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Well, Saban turned a Toledo team that was 26-28-1 in its previous 5 years into 9-2 in one year, and Meyer turned a Bowling Green team that had gone 5 straight years with losing records, including 2-9 the year before he got there, and went 8-3 and 9-3.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Who is your top 5? Harbaugh shouldn't count yet, for obvious reasons...

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And let's do the opposite of going to Meyer and Saban's last spots ---

How many guys have coached at Alabama from Bear Bryant to now that did what Saban has?

And Tressell did have high level success at Ohio State as well but what about the guys before him since Woody Hayes?

I look at places like Tennessee, Auburn, Texas, The U -- schools with lots of resources, lots of money and lots of ability to go get whoever they want and I say "if it were that easy, why aren't those programs at the top every year, too?"

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Or Bowling Green.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Dantonio, Shaw, Briles, Kelly, and Gundy have to be up there somewhere, as well, right? And is Stoops now this far off the radar?

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

O
    Or include him Carrol and Kelly and ask if you could have anyone, who would you want?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't Harbaugh count? It's not like he has never coached in college.

I'd put him above anyone but Meyer and Saban. What he accomplished at Stanford was a miracle.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Championships or GTFO

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Good point. You gotta put Chizik up there somewhere.

jpetrie18 and murphyc like this.
  12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Is what he accomplished at Stanford more impressive than what Briles has done at Baylor? Not sure it was less impressive. Just not sure it was more, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted