1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer to, um, clean up Ohio State program?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nmmetsfan, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Pointed this out on the Penn State thread, but how many arrests would a place like Penn State have had if JoePa wasn't squashing them or taking care of business in house? The fact that UF had the arrests while Penn State (or Ohio State) did not doesn't mean that there are much better citizens at those schools. It means there was no one protecting the school and the athletes from the cops.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If you think nobody was protecting the UF program during Meyer's tenure you are naive as hell.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True. The continued irony of the NCAA ... arrests: OK, trading memorabilia: bad!

I don't buy any coach playing the ignorance act with players behaving badly, but I believed it a lot more with Tressel than Meyer.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Tressel was shady at lower levels, too . . . always just a step ahead (just like Holtzie!) . . . until now.

5. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I'm like you when it comes to coaches trying to claim ignorance. Of course, my cynicism dates back to Eddie Sutton claiming to not know what was going on at Kentucky when he was the head coach there. Even now, however many years after that happened, it's still a hot-button issue with me.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

People who wear sweater vests and ties give an appearance of being more straight arrow. Its that whole "perception is reality" thing.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well-said.

8. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

For whatever it's worth, Bill Greene from the tOSU Scout site is Tweeting, and stating in an interview on Cleveland's 92.3 The Fan, "done deal".

https://twitter.com/#!/BillBankGreene/status/139079149758316545

9. derwood

derwood Active Member

Rainey was charged with felony but plead guilty to misdemeanor. His court approved punishment was ten hours of community service.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I wish college football would stop ripping Urban Meyer away from his children he clearly loves spending so much time with.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Urban-Meyer-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-contract-report-112211

7 years; 40 million

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd like to see it compared to Saban's. Saban has some crazy contract where he collects every cent if he's fired, which if you know how most college contracts are set up, is pretty amazing.

Usually the base is guaranteed, but the shoe contract, the radio and TV and appearance contracts are not, so a guy might make $2.5 million, but only $1 million is guaranteed.

I think Weis and Saban are the two notable coaches who are getting almost everything guaranteed. I think it's a safe bet Meyer's deal is probably similar.

Draft saved Draft deleted