1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer to, um, clean up Ohio State program?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nmmetsfan, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Well, I believe Meyer when he says there is "no truth to it" regarding rumor that he has accepted the job. I also believe talks are going on and he will accept the job after next week's game.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They already are.

(rimshot)

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Urban Meyer may be the next coach at Ohio State but there is no fucking way on God's green earth he's hiring Kirk Herbstreit in any coaching capacity whatsoever. I can't believe anybody would take that rumor seriously.

You've just signed a multi-million dollar deal to lead one of the top four most-pressurized programs in the country and you're going to hire as one of your assistants a guy who not only has never been a coach but who last played damn near 20 years ago? Not a fucking chance.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The cleanup?

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Kirk Herbstreit is without a doubt the most famous person in college football right now to 17, 16, 15, 14-year olds. Given his tOSU legacy, Urban would be smart to hire him as a position coach and recruiting coordinator and send him into every 5-star recruit's living room within 1,000 miles of Columbus.

So it's smart for Urban to have him on his staff; that said, Herbie would be an idiot to take the job, and, as I noted earlier, there's not chance in hell that he will.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

If Herbie did take the job, would Corso have to again apologize for saying "Ah, fuck it" on the air again? ;D

7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Not sure if much of anybody can clean up that program. Best of luck to him, though.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Herby essentially biroke into a fit of giggles when Cowherd was teasing him about it today. Said it contains zero truth. (His part anyway.)

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like Brooks and his site, and I don't doubt for a second that Meyer has had discussions with Ohio State, but when you run something about Herbstreit going there, I think you have to step back and be able to say, "Does this make sense on any level, for any of the parties involved?"

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I don't see why there's any speculation left. tOSU is going to offer Meyer and he is going to accept. Had he not resigned from Florida (twice) already, it would still be the same outcome. That's home, that's where he wants to coach and now he has the opportunity.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Here's a question for the masses. Is what Meyer did at Florida (31 arrests, doesn't kick Chris Rainey off the team for threatening the life of his girlfriend...) worse than what Tressel did at Ohio State?

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yes, the stuff that happened at Florida is worse. But it does not violate NCAA rules, unlike what happened at OSU. That's the difference, and that's really all that matters here. Meyer's record is perfectly clean in terms of what truly matters in the coach hiring game.

Draft saved Draft deleted