1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer to, um, clean up Ohio State program?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nmmetsfan, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

If I actually possessed anything of any value....no, I wouldn't bet it. Pretty sure (for what ever that's worth) it's true, though.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We'll probably never know the true story, but I think Meyer just wanted to get away from Florida. I'm not saying I question the validity of the panic attacks and the heart issues, but I would not be surprised at all if he doesn't have to deal with any of that at Ohio State.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Why in the world would Herbstreit be on anyone's short list to be an assistant coach, much less Urban Meyer's? Herbstreit, who has never been a coach at any level, is going to be one of Meyer's top picks to fill out a staff, and Herby, who would almost certainly have to take a paycut, would happily walk away from his job -- that lasts six months a year, tops -- to work 80 hour weeks and get screamed at by Meyer while he teaches footwork to kids in the spread, a system he's has no experience with and didn't even exist when he played?

4. Mizzougrad96

Hasn't the job technically been "open" for months?

5. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, that made no sense whatsoever. I'm sure he's making at least $1 million a year at ESPN. He'd be insane to leave that to become a QB coach or (god forbid) an OC.

He's not that stupid and neither is Meyer.

6. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

In reality, of course. However, tOSU even (technically) took the "interim" tag off, just before the season. I'm sure, at the time, it sounded like a good idea (inside the great void that is Gene Smith's head...).

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Pat Dooley, Urbey's buddy, reports there's "no truth to it."

https://twitter.com/#!/pat_dooley/status/137718489296289793

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not sure I would term him one of Meyer's top picks to round out staff. Certainly Meyer knows that he would need someone with more experience to teach his system. If anything Herby provides a respected link to Ohio State history and would likely be a very good recruiter because due to recognition factor.
    Spielman who was also mentioned would be a very good addition. The guy really knows the game. He and Meyer seem to have a really good relationship on the games they do.

Each one is like being at a clinic. Unlike many other former coaches one thing Meyer has been willing to do is criticize coaches and players where it is warranted.

9. Mizzougrad96

One more reason to think it's true.

10. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

Interesting. I played HS football with Greg Studrawa (not Studwara as the post butchered his name). Nice guy.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They're pretty crazy at OSU too. If Urban comes in and doesn't win quick, the natives will be revolting.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted