1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer: He gone ... sort of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: Urban Meyer: He gone

Yeah, or if the health crisis is really that serious, why not resign effective immediately?

Of course, if you've just received serious medical news, you might not be making all decisions with a lot of forethought.

With a lot of other guys (Saban, Rich Rod, etc etc) I would assume it was all part of some elaborate contract-extortion ploy, but Meyer, as far as I know, has a reputation as a fairly straight shooter (at least about as much as a guy in his position can be).

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Health problem ... "I'm gonna vomit if I have to coach this team without Tebow next year."

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Jacksonville drafts Tebow, Tebow sits for a year, J-ville fires Del Rio, Meyer steps in.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If it is a serious health problem, the assholes making these cracks are gonna look like, well, the assholes they are. The guy had a perfect season at Utah then won a national title at Florida before Tebow became the starting QB. These types of responses are about as dumb as it gets, on multiple levels.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't know if this belongs here, in the coaching carousel thread or in a new thread all of its own, but for the UF job, I could see Tony Dungy all of a sudden getting interested in returning to coaching. I could also see UF taking a good look at Harbaugh.

And yeah, Brian Kelly has to be kicking himself in the ass right now.

7. mb

mb Active Member

Riiight. Because nobody here *ever* makes smart-ass comments when bad shit really does happen, right?

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

God, imagine if he took the Florida job and stepped in for Meyer in the Sugar Bowl. Greatest troll move ever.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

And college football coaches have never, ever, ever been the least bit disingenuous about the reasons behind an unexpected change in employment status.

That said, I have no doubt coaching a major college football program can wreck a dude's health. You can only survive on 4 hours of sleep per night for so long. The stress, long hours, etc., is a recipe for a health disaster.

But a year, or two, away from the game living the good life as a TV studio analyst will likely cure him up very well. And he'll take either the Notre Dame, Texas or USC job in two years.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I am in no way opposed to people being assholes. I'm opposed to them not being any good at it.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ESPN says heart muscle defect

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Vultures. Doesn't take 'em long at all . . .

RT @GatorBenPBP: UF recruit Gerald Christian says he heard from Miami, FSU, Tennessee and Georgia, but not UF, since news

Draft saved Draft deleted