1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer hates reporters.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Where did that quote come from, the SID office?

2. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Take a step back and ask if anyone should ever be outraged - or even close to outraged - about one football player talking about the abilities of other football players.

Seriously.

3. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Just going on track record and previous dealings with the program here, I can't give Meyer or UF sports info the benefit of the doubt. The "Kremlin" nickname is well-deserved ... that's probably the most anti-media college athletics program in the country.

As far as the quote goes, I can see both sides. But Meyer and UF get no sympathy from me.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

C'mon, coach, you should have backed up your (cheap) talk and slugged the guy. Would have set Fowler up nicely in Tahiti for a couple years.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So, Kid. Where you there during the Thompson interview? If so, why didn't you take it upon yourself to ask him to clarify the quote?

6. No no, I agree with you. I could care less about someone ripping Tebow. But Urban wasn't defending Tebow, he was defending Deonte Thompson, who I assure you did not approach the media on Monday after practice with the intent of ripping Tebow and making himself a national story.

And Ace, I'm done with you. You clearly have had a negative experience covering college football and don't like Urban Meyer, so you can't discuss this rationally.

7. I'm not talking about Fowler ....

Not talking about Fowler's story .. I was refering to the stories that mushroomed from it. They teased the quote. That was the lead.
    OK?

8. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Have no idea if the reporter could've backed this up (and it's definitely unprofessional), but I would've LOVED to hear this exchange:

Meyer: "If that was my son, we'd be going at it right now."

Reporter: "And I'd be kicking your ass right now."

9. Standing right there with my recorder. I thought Thompson's quotes were so cliche and boring that I was going to save it for a feature for the next day -- "Underperforming receiver has something to prove." Stop the presses.

Everyone knows what he meant -- Brantley is a pocket passer, Tebow isn't. No need to go running to the hills and screaming out, "LOOK AT THIS KID WHO IS RIPPING TIM TEBOW!!!" It's not worth the fuss, which we are all discovering today.

10. Wait til a few of our resident tough guys get wind of this - See the Cycling thread - Urban will get his.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I certainly can discuss it rationally. You know anyone who has covered college football who hasn't had a negative experience?

Personally, I think you got chewed out by your boss for burying the quote and have a chip on your shoulder.

If Fowler overplayed the quote knowing he was sensationalizing it, that's bad. But if he changed the blog after hearing from the SID, that's to his credit.

Meyer was just acting like a dick.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Always nice to see the local guys work their miserable bullshit out anonymously. Healthy.

Draft saved Draft deleted