1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer hates reporters.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Mar 24, 2010.

1. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

Here's the video:

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/882/927048.mov

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Are you serious? Gundy's rant was nothing more than juvenile grandstanding. It was an immature act of a coach who was feeling the heat at the time and who sought to burnish his standing with the fan base by going after a popular target, the print media.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm serious. I'll grant that Gundy went over the top but he was correct in his anger over a writer who put down one of his players. Fowler didn't do anything of the sort and Meyer went off on him without good cause. His rant on Fowler was uncalled for.

4. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Gundy was defending a kid who had his character and toughness attacked by a columnist, who used "rumors and rumblings" as her primary source.

Meyer was defending a kid who was quoted accurately in an online blog.
    Seems like a bit of a difference.

All of this is ironic considering how Fowler, in the past, seemed to go out of his way to defend that program and it's alarming number of arrests since Meyer arrived.

Oh well.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Urban Meyer needs to have the shit kicked out of him. That is all.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Hard to disagree with that.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

At least you don't make sweeping generalizations.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Typical bully crap. Fowler should punch that dope in the mouth (figuratively).

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Gotta disagree there. As much as we in the media hate Gundy for his rant and as much as it became a national punchline, it was a rallying point for that team. Maybe it's all a coincidence, but Oklahoma State is 23-12 since then. And it probably helped recruiting as well ('come to OSU, where the coach always has your back').

Of course, that doesn't make Gundy (or Meyer) right. They were both obviously out of line.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shouldn't Meyer be pleased that one of his top returning receivers is excited to work with a new quarterback?

Lord, I almost think Meyer spent some time on the Pacific Rim, or wherever it was, about 22-23 years ago. I almost am willing to bet after watching this that Meyer will go pro for a head coaching job if Tebow is not given a chance to start in the NFL.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fowler does outstanding work. Meyer is a fuck and the AD and SIDs at Florida are widely viewed as some of the worst in the business. Don't get me wrong, the AD is arguably the best in the business, but not for his dealings with the media. He has a rep as a complete bully.

Fowler's life is going to be a living hell for the next couple weeks.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is the part I hated most. Make a half-assed threat to a guy you know is in no position to retaliate.

Bush league. Or maybe NAIA football.

Draft saved Draft deleted