1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban legends

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

In my school, it was Kathy Klein's older sister and it "happened" when she was in 8th grade. I still think about it every damn time I see a hot dog. I don't even remember the girl's first name, but I think of her almost every day.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Dick, we had a similar one to your psychic story at UVa. Supposedly some sort of psychic prediction that there would be a massacre in a dorm shaped like the first letter of its name, overlooking a cemetery, at a university founded by a founding father. Which matches Lefevre dorm at UVa perfectly. With all the detail, it was obvious BS, but there were people who slept in other dorms the night it was supposed to go down.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I actually worked with a girl at Taco Bell in HS/college that admitted she DID use a hot dog once...and didn't care who knew. I also worked with an older woman who bragged about her husband's 12-inch penis. I learned so much working there...

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The scream in the Ohio Players' "Roller Coaster of Love" was someone being murdered outside the recording studio.

5. printit

printit Member

The original Ultimate Warrior died and was replaced.

Halloween candy is poisoned.

Some sort of blue sticker was acid (I think also tied to Halloween).

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My neighbor tried to spook all the parents about acid stickers when I was a kid. Who had them, because no one I ever ran across carried around stickers.

I wonder how many people who believe these urban legends also believe in alien abductions.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Paul McCartney was killed in an accident and replaced by a lookalike
    Walt Disney dishonorably discharged

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That Turbo (or it was Ozone?) from Breakin' died whilst doing a head-spin.

9. To be fair to Buck - the dolphin was asking for it.

10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

At my junior high in the late 80s/early 90s it was Jordan Knight of the New Kids.

And I also liked the one about the supposed ghost of the dead kid and the upside-down shotgun in "Three Men and a Baby."

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

These sort of stories used to be called "old wives' tales," but the decline of support and elder-care services in rural areas forced them all into larger cities. That's when they became "urban legends."

Oh, and I grew up in Kansas. Almost every high school had a tale about the band that would become Kansas playing their homecoming or prom. Of course, they weren't called that when they played at the school.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The woman who dried her poodle in the microwave after a bath.

The driver who put their RV on cruise control and left the wheel to get something in the back.

That Iggy Pop attended our high school as a teen.

Draft saved Draft deleted