1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban legends

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They were more fun before the Internet allowed them to spread like wildfire - and also to be immediately verified. But what are some of the ones you can recall hearing and either believing or not believing?

* "Rainbow parties." As I noted on another thread, my wife came home one day from her job as a teacher freaked out about "rainbow parties" that kids in her school district were having, where girls would wear different colored lipstick and boys would try to collect blowjobs then compare marks at the end.

* The psychic on Oprah. Supposedly, she predicted that on Halloween a murder would take place on a campus with a "U-shaped dorm." We, of course, just knew that had to be Bloomington. Commence freak out.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The guy hiding under your car to slice your achilles tendon while you pump your gas.

The person who wakes up in a tub filled with ice and no internal organs.

3. Didn't Oprah do a show on the Rainbow Parties?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That Michael Diamond (Mike D from the Beastie Boys) and Dustin Diamond (Screech) were related.

I remember hearing that one in college and a zillion times since and thinking it was true for a long time...

5. Mizzougrad96

Or that Dule Hill (West Wing, Psych) was Bud on The Cosby Show.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

On every college campus, Debbie Gibson was about to enroll at the school an hour away.

But my favorite: As "Don't Worry Be Happy" was being played five times an hour and sat atop the charts, the rumor spread like wildfire that Bobby McFerrin had killed himself.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Milton Berle

8. Dick Whitman

Two other celebrity death rumors I remember vividly:

* Jared from the "Subway" commercials had died of AIDS.

* The host of "Blue's Clues" committed suicide or died of a drug overdose (or both).

9. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

A "shoot-first, Pistol Pete-like" point guard playing on a state-finals boys basketball team in Oklahoma.

10. Mizzougrad96

Was the Jared rumor before or after the South Park episode?

11. Dick Whitman

Before. I think the "South Park" episode was playing on the urban legend.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Interesting coincidence that I read this book this week for a graduate school course in political theory that I'm taking.

http://www.amazon.com/People-Believe-Weird-Things-ebook/dp/B004TNH6ME/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Draft saved Draft deleted