1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban legends political e-mails

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DemoChristian, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Why does it seem that inaccurate e-mails that circulate during the political season are always anti-Democrat or pro-Republican?
    This is the one that got me thinking about it...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/change.asp

Other examples I can think of are Obama is a Muslim; Gore, then Kerry, said his favorite verse was John 16:3; Bush took time out of a fundraiser to spend 30 minutes privately with a young man who had just accepted Christ; Bill Clinton kills people; Hillary makes Marxist quotes; Hillary is going to name Bill her running mate, then resign so he become president again; etc.
    I honestly can't remember a single one that went the other way politically, though I admit those wouldn't likely have as big an impact on me because they wouldn't piss me off.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Demo: I think the right-wing talk radio is the spawning ground for a lot of this crap. But it does go both ways ... just read the comments at the bottom of a Huffington Post item sometime for conspiracy theories about voting fraud, etc. It might be a little less virulent, but it's out there.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/medium/email-message/

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You aren't going to convince someone near and dear to my heart, her best friend and her husband that Obama is not a Muslim.

5. I'm not saying crazy doesn't go both ways, just e-mails.
    The site Irish linked is all about Democrats as well.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Funny that all the "Obama is Black" shit started with the Clintons.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Politifact is good, but yes, in Snopes, there seems to be more "evil" among the Democrats than the GOP. Still, there are those that talk about Bush being a dunderhead, too.

8. I'm obviously an outspoken Democrat, as is much of my family, so you'd think any anti-Bush e-mails would wind up in my inbox. They don't. I've never had one.
    But I can't even remember all the anti-Clinton, Gore, Kerry, Obama, Hillary, etc. e-mails I've had and they are almost never accurate.

9. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

Yep. No one knew Obama was a black guy until Hillary Clinton said so. I thought he was Asian, or maybe Latino.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago, I heard one local right-wing talk show host say that Ron Brown was assassinated.
    I couldn't let that go and sent him an e-mail with the link to the Snopes article debunking the idea that Bill and Hillary Clinton had been putting mob-style hits on anyone who had the goods on them.
    His response was that too many of those people had died under "suspicious" circumstances to write them off as coincidences.

11. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I think some of it has to do with the "you won't find this reported by the media" mind set of some branches of conservatism. I have friends and family who will be convinced by some of these things, and the fact that a media organization would refute the claim only serves to reinforce their opinion.

I don't know if among liberal-leaning folks if there is such a "media won't report this" mentality.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oh yes, there is, especially regarding Bush-Cheney's shenanigans. That's quieted down since the 2006 congressional turnover.

Draft saved Draft deleted