1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Upset Alert: Kentucky on the ropes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Jan 6, 2015.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you have the ball in a tied game with 10 seconds to go, it ought to be second nature to every player and coach what the play is. It's like a football team that needs a two-point conversion in the final minute; it's a play you've practiced over and over and over again.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

As bad as the SEC is this year, I wonder how good the chances are that Kentucky runs the table. Florida sucks. Arkansas is probably the second best team in the SEC.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If Moody doesn't get hurt twice in that game, Ole Miss wins. Kid is a helluva player.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Moody was a helluva punk too till Cliff broke his nose.

[​IMG]

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

LSU could give Kentucky trouble.

I wasn't even advocating calling a timeout in that situation. Just pass the ball once or twice, try to find something more open than that. Everyone knew they were running iso from the start.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, Arkansas and LSU are the only teams in the SEC who I could see upsetting Kentucky.

I just wonder if this could wind up being like the 2002--03 season where they rolled off 26 wins in a row and then were upset in the tournament. This team is better than that one, probably a lot better, but I don't think it helps when a team isn't tested during all of conference play. Calipari should be grateful he got a tough game.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Of course the people who say Virginia slows it down haven't really watched the past few years or maybe only saw the Wisconsin game last year. Virginia games have few possessions, but Virginia players are always moving on both ends of the court, usually quickly. They force the other team to run the shot clock because the defense is so good and they force bad shots, but they don't walk it up the floor or hold it for 20 second before letting somebody go 1-on-1.

UVa's not alone in that, which is why the talk on the other thread about fewer possessions and few points can be a bit misguided.

8. RecoveringJournalist

I just remember when Bennett's dad had the Badgers in the Final Four. That semifinal game against MIchigan State was one of the most horrendously boring I'd seen. There were people on press row who I thought were going to open their wrists. I remember one well-known writer turning around and saying way too loudly, "This is fucking ridiculous!"

I vaguely remember it getting slightly better in the second half.

I've seen Virginia twice this year on TV and I didn't think it was as slow as his dad's teams.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If and when Kentucky gets beat it's going to be a HUGE upset. It's not going to be one of the teams people think of. Those guys have shown up extremely motivated for big games against ranked and name-brand teams. Look at what it did to Kansas and UCLA. They pretty much always had control against Louisville, Texas and UNC. It's against the likes of Columbia and Ole Miss that UK looks vulnerable.

Maybe South Carolina gets them in SEC play. That's not a bad team, but the school name on the jersey isn't going to get the Wildcats excited and the Gamecocks probably will stay outside the Top 25. If UK goes down in the tournament it will be in the second round. Some 8 or 9 seed that's pretty decent and maybe has the athletes or a couple of really good shooters while everyone from Lexington is looking forward to some high- profile Sweet 16 game against a Notre Dame or Ohio State.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

In OT against TAMU

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Point shaving?

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted