1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Upscale restaurants: Not "family-friendly"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

We need more family-unfriendly places.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I've yet to see an infant at the Four Seasons. Wonder why? . . .

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

First-time parents tend to be a bit irrational and don't understand why the world isn't as obsessed with junior as they are.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I mean, I wouldn't expect to see Henry Kissinger at Chuck E. Cheese . . .
    why doesn't the opposite, get through?

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Sounds like my kind of church.

6. I completely agree. If you think a restaurant isn't family friendly, then I wouldn't go there if I had kids. People sometimes neglect their brains when it comes to that. If you go to an upscale restaurant, find a damn babysitter.

7. Because it is all about THEM.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mrs. TBF ran across a list in one of her parenting magazines of restaurants that where not kid-friendly, and we try to avoid them.

But, sorry, if I want to bring my kid into a restaurant to eat, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'll do my best to keep her quiet (and I'm willing to bet she's more quiet than most adults). If she becomes unruly, I'll take her out. But if she's just making a little noise with her toys and making a few "dada" and "baba" sounds, well, tough shit.

And, spnited, why can't I take an infant into a restaurant? Why don't we, as a family, belong in a restaurant?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

See, you have the common sense to think of others and take a loud or unruly child out.
    It's the ones who let their kid scream or carry on at the table and disrupt others because THEY are having a good time and don't want to be bothered is what causes anarchy...

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm lucky I have a quiet kid -- except for once, when we had to take her out. But I realized a few weeks ago, when we all went out to a really nice, family-owned restaurant in Dothan, there are more loud, unruly adults than children. I can count on one hand the number of times my meal has been interrupted by loud, unruly children. I am disturbed much more often by adults than children.

Hell, the worst thing Little tbf does is throw rattles and Cheerios in the floor.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A chip off the old block then.....

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, because if I'm spending $250.00 for two on dinner I sure as hell want to be at a table with or next to whining or crying children.

There is no requirement a restaurant has to be "family-friendly". My rule of thumb about kids in upscale restaurants is pretty simple. If your child can't cut up his/her own food, speak in complete sentences or needs a high chair or booster seat, they don't belong.

I'd have the same reaction to an unruly child at the theatre or at the opera. Why is your kid even HERE?

One more reason to love our local: no one under the age of 19 is allowed in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.