1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Upscale restaurants: Not "family-friendly"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

OK, I hate to have one of these threads again, but somebody's going to have to explain this to me.

My girlfriend and I had a wonderful dinner last night with one of my very best friends, who was in town for a conference, at Bing Crosby's restaurant out in Rancho Mirage. It's a pretty upscale place, complete with piano lounge, a private wine room, martini bar, the works. Had a great time.

Anyway, I'm checking out reviews of the place online this afternoon, and come across one that says this:

Now. The hot water thing, I can see. I once had a waiter at a place that served Mexican food who didn't understand what "salsa" was. It bugs me when restaurant staff can't respond to a simple request, like, for instance, hot water.

But somebody please explain to me what kind of people bring a kid into a place like this. What on god's green earth would compel someone to think, "Sure, let's go eat there" when they've got an infant that requires a milk bottle and changing room during dinner? Don't you walk into the lobby, past the coat room and piano lounge, and think, "Hmm, maybe we'll just go to Cici's since we've got the little one tonight"?

And then to have the nerve to complain that the place is "not family-friendly"? Well, no fucking shit!

Don't want to turn this into another parents/non-parents thread. That's not my intention. But I'd like to know something about the mind-set that makes someone think that the restaurant is in the wrong for not being family-friendly and absolves themselves of blame for taking their kid to eat somewhere that's not appropriate. Anyone? Bueller?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The same kind of parent who would breastfeed in the pew of a church, instead of taking her child in the back where no one could see...

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Maybe they were attending a family gathering -- parents' 50th anniversary, grandma turning 90 -- and had to bring the child for whatever reason.
    Still seems gauche to complain, though.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's like going to a Chinese restaurant and bitching because enchiladas aren't on the menu.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

They're idiots.

Same goes for people who come into Pizza Hut and roll their eyes when little ones are screaming at the next table.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why does anyone go out to a restaurant--any restaurant--with an infant who requires a heated bottle? Sorry, the baby does not belong in a restaurant.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Looks like someone's been spoiled by the bathrooms of McDonald's and Wal-Mart.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yeah - nothing screams "family-friendly" more than Bing Crosby right? He sure knew how to keep his kids in line.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Use a sack of oranges because they don't leave a mark.

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I prefer a phone book.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

so you've been out to eat with my friends...

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And the problem is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.