1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Upper Deck bids on Topps.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, May 24, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I know I'm going to Hell for laughing at that, but, dayum!

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

As a baseball card aficianado from back in the day -- I worked at a card/collectibles store thru high school -- I must point out that The Rookies logo is an addition from a Donruss set.

I'm a bear for details, like Fletch.

3. Norman Stansfield

DKs were the greatest. When I used to hawk autographs as a kid those were among the first cards I'd reach for...I still have some of them.

Oh, and it was hard to get those Donruss The Rookies cards signed at first...too much gloss.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Some of us are old enough to remember when there was Topps, Topps and Topps.

My first year of collecting? The '78 set, which I am still sort of partial to.

[​IMG]

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The '78 set that had four rookies on one card. Molitor and Trammel were two, maybe Whitaker was the third? Was that Brett's rookie year, too?

6. Norman Stansfield

Brett and Yount were '75...remember those minis they also made that year? Back in '89-'90, Brett and Yount mini rookies in ex-mint shape were going for upwards of $350 apiece. You'd be lucky to get about half of that now.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Good work, Buck, on multiple fronts.

Just did a quick Google for the 1990 Upper Deck set sealed (it's one of the ones that I have). Going for as low as $15 on Craigslist. Damn, the bottom's fallen out of the market.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the '71 topps set is as good as it gets. i'm about 7/8 done with it now.

[​IMG]

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

I loved Diamond Kings too.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

also a big fan of the 1961s. i have about 200 of these and think i probably will work on this one next ... then probably call card collecting a thing of the past.

[​IMG]

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

call it a thing of the past only because the '57s are too expensive to collect:

[​IMG]

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I would get this asshole's card over and over and over again, every year:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted