1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Upper Deck bids on Topps.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, May 24, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Checked the first couple pages of this and Anything Goes, and I didn't see anything.

NEW YORK -- The Upper Deck Co. has made a pitch to buy The Topps Co., a bid that would join two iconic baseball card makers that have sold sports memorabilia to generations of fans young and old.

The offer price of $10.75 a share trumps a bid earlier this year from a group of investors led by former Disney CEO Michael Eisner. Topps, maker of baseball cards and Bazooka bubble gum, said Thursday it was not sure Upper Deck's bid is a superior offer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2881402

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

The fact that Upper Deck is called 'iconic' and said to have sold sports memorabilia to 'generations' of fans makes me chuckle...

Upper Deck's first set was in 1989, correct?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yes, and Card No. 1 was Junior Griffey.

I just found a whole stash of baseball cards while doing some cleaning last night. I have to figure out if they're worth anything.

4. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Let me save you the trouble — they're not.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What's the Upper Deck Griffey go for these days?

I collected those fervently.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Actually, newbie, some of them are, including a bunch of sealed Upper Deck sets.

Grab me a cold Yuengling, please.

7. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

OK — a sealed set of the highest-quality brand might be worth something. I'll give you that, subscriber.

But my guess is, wicked's collection is a dusty dumping ground of bent-cornered Kevin Maas rookie cards and Skybox tins. In other words, kindling.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey Kevin Maas is gonna make Mattingly expendable! YOU WATCH!!!!

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Holy shit. I think a generation of card collectors would turn over in their graves if they knew about this.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I would ... if I hadn't turned off already in 1994.

Card collecting for me died after the strike. The Big Three/Four became the Big Forty-Three -- too many "special sets" and inserts and crap ruined the hobby. It was much more fun when there was one Topps set, one Donruss set, one Upper Deck set, one Bowman/Fleer set, and a kid could afford to buy a box and rip open a dozen packs trying to find #692 to complete his set.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Inserts ruined the hobby. I watch kids all the time open a pack, scan it for inserts and toss the rest in the trash, which is disgraceful...

I remember after little league games buying packs for 30 cents a pop (Fuck, I'm old...) and looking for Reggie Jackson, Rickey Henderson, George Brett, Rod Carew, I'd go home and put the commons in a box to be scanned through later and would immediately put all of the stars into those plastic sheets.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

plastic sleeves. yeah, you're real old.

Draft saved Draft deleted