1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATED: You can indict a ham sandwich, but not purple drank (Jamarcus Russell)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Re: Jamarcus Russell Arrested

Fixed.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is from Stripes and I thought it was one of the movie's better lines.
    I'm still miffed that the Raiders are still trying to get their advance money back.
    As for the syrup, someone snitched on him. I'm willing to bet on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Now Al Davis is going to say he was on codeine the whole time (which could be true) and that's why he was cut and that he owes them some of his signing bonus back.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he wasn't arrested for fraud.
    [/pissedoffRaidersfan]

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What people do not understand is that only 36% of the "drank" makes it into his wide open mouth.

The other 64% winds up on his cheek, his hair, his nose, shirt or in someone else's mouth running in the opposite direction.

He did look great drinking the "drank" at the Notre Dame party a few years back, though.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If anyone gets out of line with cough syrup, they'll have to go through Ol 'Tooz -- John Matuszak

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Russell's only comment on the subject was "This is for the boys that sip purple and sip yellow."

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And if that doesn't work he's going to say he now has proof that Russell is 6'5'', not 6'6'', and thus he signed the contract under false pretenses.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards your thinking, Mizzou.

JaMarcus, directly or indirectly, has given the Raiders a reason to accelerate their pursuit of getting that signing bonus back.

10. jschreier18

jschreier18 New Member

One of the things that surprises me about this is the novelty of codeine. When I first skimmed over the story online, I thought it said, "cocaine," which isn't a new story. Just ask Travis Henry.

The fact that the police said that they'd been tracking Russell for a couple months also surprises me. Did they just grow tired of tracking Sudafed sales and look for a new over-the-counter medicine to follow? There isn't a lot of information coming out about this case, and I'm beginning to wonder if there's something more sinister under the surface.

Maybe Al Davis got Russell hooked so he could find probable cause to pre-emptively cut him.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The story I read from the Press-Register said they were tracking sales for two months, not Russell. But he kept popping up in the investigation.

12. Re: Jamarcus Russell Arrested

Codeine isn't an over-the-counter drug, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted