1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here in Mass. there were two kinds of political ads that filled the local news timeslots since August. Ads for incumbent Governor Charlie Baker, who may win by the most of any Republican anywhere, and ads for and against a ballot proposition that'd set minimum standards for nursing staff levels at hospitals (nurse's union for, hospitals against). The latter ads on both sides were noteworthy because every person in them spoke with fantastic Boston accents, the kind you hear less and less of these days.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Baker's ads don't make any sense except for the fact that his Lt. Gov. is shown in every one and she is featured in at least one ad. Getting a jump on 2022.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The Happy Honda Days with the 1980s iconic toys were excellent a few years ago. And not just because my happy Honda was Skeletor.

4. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

And that's only going to get more rampant now that there is no reason to run any more campaign commercials.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The perfume and diamonds ads are on the way.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Vombatus likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The 30ish husband got his and hers GMC Denalis for he and his wife for Christmas.

That's got to run what, about $150k after taxes.

8. ChrisLong

How about the 8-year-old who wakes up on Christmas morning and is disappointed there isn’t a Mercedes in the driveway.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I really don't know how I feel about The Colonel dancing with Mrs. Butterworth...

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

In front of a 500k home.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

General rule: if a car commercial is described as a “sales event”, you’re paying too much

Go down market for luxury. As a reward for surviving the divorce, I drove half a day to pick out a new car. Bought a 2013 model of the car I had wanted. $13k, 24000 miles. Found it at 3 am on a web search after two years of research.

The place was in Eastern European Chicago. Everyone who walked in or out looked like an extra from the Chesterfield in Rounders.

Test drove the car. Only needed new tires.

The manager said in a thick Polish accent.

“You’re welcome to valk uh-vay and go drive to Schaumburg. Same car vill be 18 tousand up der.”

He was right. One year and 20k miles later, best damn car I’ve ever had. New tires and an oil change every 10,000 miles. New that car was $38500. I know because that’s the percentage I have to pay the damn registration every year.

Go to unseemly places for a bargain.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  12. ChrisLong

When did everything become an "event?" Watching the fires on TV, the news conferences: Santa Ana event, fire event, evacuation event ...

Draft saved Draft deleted