1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Not just during baseball. Also on FS1 during football. I actually screamed when they went to the little side-ad during a 3rd down, "I HAVE NEVER CARED ABOUT BATTERIES LESS."

I may never buy Duracell again.

also I regret every time I've watched a game on ABC this fall and heard, "Hey guys...it's ENGAGEMENT SEASON!" Fuck that shit with a rusty pole, Kay Jewelers.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The Jackie Stewart/Heineken ad baffles me.

He turns down the beer three different times -- across different eras. It's almost with the body language of "no, I'm not drinking that beer but I'll be happy to take their money".

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Those Indiana University ads are super annoying - they do some sort of time lapse photography to take you back when Sage Steele and the NY Times crossword guy was matriculating. They also have one with 2 time Olympic gold medal swimmer Lily King, where the director puts a camera in her face and says "have fun with it".

I cannot believe I've watched two IU football games this fall.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to get more than a little concerned that I could be incarcerated should I see the Verizon guy in an airport or out in public. The urge to cold cock him right in the nose would just be too impossible to resist.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

There's also one with some dude who produced some Batman movie. I'm probably a bad Hoosier alumna.

I will say that these ads don't piss me off nearly as much as the previous ones. They had ones a few years ago that were clearly some Kelley School of Business bullshit and said, "Indiana is where you can graduate and get a job with a $75,000 starting salary!" I got my Master's from IU and at the time, I was busting my ass for minimum wage and working a second job on the side. I texted my friend (who graduated with me and was working retail at Best Buy), "So where's YOUR $75,000 a year job?!" I also think that when they called me to hit me up for money (uh you just got $40,000 out of me was that not enough??) that I gave them a clue as to what I thought about these ad spots.

poindexter likes this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Samsung ad that ends with the girl texting "I think I love you" and getting "Who dis?"

It needs to go away soon.

It needs to go away soon, if only because my wife says it needs to go away soon every damn time it runs.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

That is one of those commercials that was cute at first but made me hate it because it seemingly ran every inning of the baseball postseason

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The music starts out pretty good, but descends into someone strangling a cat.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I agree. However, that ad is far superior to the current Buick ads with Mr. Smarmy talking about tailgates and that new car smell. Having seen those ads, I have no idea what kind of marketing plan Buick has. For a while they had the "No, really, THAT is what a Buick looks like now" idea going. I have no idea what selling point Mr. Smarmy is supposed to represent.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I guess we aren't Buick's target market, murph.

Actually, I wouldn't know about the "new car smell" because I've never bought one. Always used ... er, "previously owned."

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The Nissan Last Jedi commercial is cool but what is so hard about slowing the fuck down through a construction zone? You don't need fancy technology to keep you in your lane if you're not trying to do 80 as you pass road work on the shoulder. Oh and keeping your eyes on the road and not gawking at the sky would help too.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This doesn't irk me, but it's worthy of note. Watching the Lions game, it occurs to me that pickup truck commercials are the last ones where when they show a montage or series of shots in which a bunch of people are supposed to be regular consumers, all the people portrayed are white. No other product does that.

Draft saved Draft deleted