1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That was a Super Bowl spot. The original was pretty funny, and so was the follow-up.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I attended Adam Carolla's podcast taping yesterday for the podcast that's released today, and his main rant was about this add.

#Humblebrag.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Our favorite ambiguously gay couple are back, hawking milkshakes or whatever from Sonic, only this time Mom is in the back seat, pretty much alluding to the fact they are gay.

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Chase Bank commercial with a 60ish couple (ex-hippies?) walking a pig, with a voiceover that begins something like, "You do things your way, we can help you retire your way..." with multiple shots of the shoat walking to some god awful song. And yes, they walk the shoat into the bank for a meeting. Fucking stupid. Not that I needed another reason to avoid the giant moneysucker that is Chase, but that commercial makes me all the more happier to be in a credit union that doesn't blow money on advertising like that.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

While I share your antipathy toward Chase, the combination of the pig and reggae is simply badass.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

... and Shabba Ranks?!?!

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There isn't one particular commercial that sets me off, but the way ads are arranged on the MLB app radio broadcasts (at least for the Reds) drives me up the wall.

About 10-15 seconds into the first spot (which is what I'd be hearing if I could tune in WLW), it suddenly cuts to its own ads, which are played at 1/30 the volume and make me wonder if the battery in my Bluetooth speaker has died. There's a Lowes and a Home Depot ad in the same block (how did they get away with that) and one, usually two, of the Geico "oversharing" ads. Other than sometimes mixing the order, it's the same every half inning. And midway through their last ad, they abruptly cut back to the end of the last network ad, which now seems like it is BLARING at me even though it is just back to normal volume. Total amateur hour, all the way around.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's something they switched this year. Drives me bonkers, too.

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me why the extra $4 a month for ad-free Hulu is worth it.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

YUM-DIDDY-YUM-YUM-YUM
    WE-GON'-HAVE-SOME-FUN

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I will never understand KFC's ad strategy in the last two years. They bring back the Col. with Darrell Hammond, then Norm McDonald, then Jim Gaffigan -and then apologizing for is crappy food - and now some bizarre KFC academy that doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the food quality.

I half expect Margaret Cho or Flavor Flav to show up as The Col at some point.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Flavor Flav did have his own chain of chicken restaurants, IIRC.

Draft saved Draft deleted