1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Can't believe there hasn't been a mention yet of "This is our country"

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

OK -- we all just finished a pretty nasty election cycle. Could somebody please tell that to Billy Harper?

Kentucky's gubernatorial election isn't for another 11 months. Heck, the primary is five-plus months away, yet this guy has been running ads since October touting his candidacy for next year's race.

Granted, few voters know who he is, and while running commercials ad nauseum may help his recognition numbers, I certainly doubt people will feel compelled to vote for him. Hell, if he gets elected, he may start running his 2011 re-election ads in December 2007!

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

The Dockers' "Go Boy Go" commercial.
    Any whistling Wendy's commercial.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Every time I hear the Wendy's whistle, it travels up and down my spine. God, I hate that.

Not to nitpick, Yawn... OK maybe I am. But while the Browns-Steelers rivalry is not the "hottest" in the NFL right now, it's still a pretty big deal among the two teams. More so from the Browns side, but still a big deal.

Anyway, my vote is for the "This is Our Country." Ever notice how it's focusing on middle America and lacking ethnicities. Sorry, but my country has all kinds of colors and religions... not just white, Bible-beating rednecks driving Chevy pickups. Fuck.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

This is Our Country is pretty damn bad.

But I'd have to say the worst would have to be those fricking Enzyte commercials and that insipid whistling!!!!!! Yikes!

BTW: Geico caveman commercials are great!

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I can deal with just about any commercial on tv, but those VW ones with the accidents out of nowhere piss me off. I used to love VW and I actually dislike them now, solely because of those commercials.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The garmin ads have overtaken the Our Country ads as my least favorite, mostly for ruining one of my favorite Christmas songs for me.

I also hate all ads showing shiny, happy couples and cute babies, for no reason other than I am a bitter old woman.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I haven't encountered a non-awesome Geico spot yet. And the "go boy go" spots are sooo awful. And I normally like the Overstock woman. But that Christmas spot does not look like there are any real humans in it.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

-- The PA Lottery ads where they sing the praises of giving lottery tickets as Holiday gifts (to the tune of 12 Days of Christmas) while some guy walks around giving out lottery tickets as holiday gifts.
    -- The PA Lottery commercials with Gus the Groundhog (the second most famous groundhog in PA).
    -- Any Enzyte commercial with that freaky smiling guy and his fugly wife... or any Enzyte commercial with that insipid whistling (MASH reference)

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Thank you soooooooooooooo much for using that reference! Big MASH fan

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

The Geico Caveman commercials rule... especially the one where he's rolling past the airport ad on the moving sidewalk and doubles back for a second look. Haven't we all done that a time or three in our lives?

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

The ones for the team-colored paint from Home Depot. Stupid and with an extremely annoying tune.

Draft saved Draft deleted