1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread: Giant oil slick headed for Gulf Coast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 21, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That's interesting. Surprised it has been more of a story. Hmmm.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I guess you missed the first 10 minutes of the NBC Nightly News tonight.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

At what point does burning some of it off become an option? I know they were talking about that a few days ago.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As an informed citizen, yes, I missed the NBC Nightly News. And you know that's not what I'm talking about. OK, you probably don't, but someone does.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They've tried it with spills in the past but it's tricky. The oil has to be thick enough to not break up and the seas have to be calm. Here's more on the subject:

http://www.itopf.com/spill-response/clean-up-and-response/alternative-techniques/

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Between the wind and the current, they just couldn't manage it when they considered it. I'm guessing now that it's closer to shore, it ceases to become an option. You wouldn't want that cloud of black smoke to be blown over populated areas.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

A BBC report says oil giant BP facing growing criticsm.......Gee, ya think? I hope those bastards reimburse us for every cent (not very likely,but they should face steep fines)

8. Armchair_QB

I'm a little surprised at the laissez-faire attitude our dear leader has shown up until now. I seem to recall the feds being a lot more involved in trying to mitigate the damage in the Valdez incident than what we're seeing here.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The economic impact of this is going to be crippling. From a jobs standpoint, it's going to be a harsh blow for any tourism tied to beaches in the region. Fishing? Dead in the water.

This might be the "black swan" event which leaves the country reeling.

10. Armchair_QB

Louisiana opened shrimp season early so the shrimpers could get some catch in before it was too late.

Not sure how this leaves the whole country reeling. It's going to affect the Gulf Coast for sure though.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

From an environmental standpoint, I'm thinking it would be better the further east this thing goes. Sucks for the beaches in Mississippi, Alabama and Florida, but I just can't imagine the devastating environmental impact this would have if it gets into the wetlands of Louisiana.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They're saying today that if the oil gets into the oyster beds, it could make Gulf Coast oysters pretty much inedible for about two decades. That could be a killer ...

Draft saved Draft deleted