1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread: Giant oil slick headed for Gulf Coast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is a d_b, but as someone who has a half-dozen close family members in the oil business (including my stepfather and stepbrother in Louisiana), this is chilling stuff:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/21/oil.rig.explosion/index.html?hpt=Sbin

In a related topic, go fill up your gas tank now!

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: Seven critically injured, 11 missing in Louisiana oil rig explosion

NASA took a photo of the oil slick ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This could end up the worst environmental catastrophe in U.S. history. The Coast Guard now says the leak is 5x worse than first reported, at 5,000 barrels per day. Two months of that would equal the Valdez. But this is lighter oil in warmer climate that will coat lots more of the marshlands.

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

It's truly amazing how many of these offshore oil rigs there are. When I graduated high school, my mom and I took a cruise out of New Orleans. You could look in every direction and see an oil rig. I'm surprised there aren't more incidents.

5. Football_Bat

My dad worked on one of those rigs when I was a kid. Two weeks on and two weeks off. He told me the worst part of it was the chopper rides out and in.

6. Steak Snabler

To make matters worse, this weekend is the beginning of shrimp-spawning season. The entire season's harvest could be devastated by the giant ball of oil headed this way. At least oyster season is more or less over.

And it's amazing to think they haven't stopped this leak yet. It's still spewing 210,000 gallons a day, with no end in sight really.

Here's the latest from CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/29/stopping.oil.leak/index.html?hpt=T1

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Drill, baby, drill.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Part of the problem has been, and I'm not making this up, that BP doesn't have the documentation specific to this rig. In other words, they lost the owner's manual. Annoying when it's a DVD player. Rather more so when it's an oil rig.

9. Football_Bat

When this is all said and done, the Gulf Coasters will be hitting their knees for a hurricane to blast out the soiled coastal lands. That's sad.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sure would like to know what caused this. Rig explosions are fairly rare occurrence, no?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From what I read, yes. But apparently so much so that no one knows what the f*ck to do when there's a big problem.

12. Steak Snabler

And of course, this will lead to new federal regulations that all rigs be retrofitted with some sort of emergency shutoff/redirection system in case of future explosions. Naturally, the oil companies will be more than happy to pass those costs on to the consumer ...

Draft saved Draft deleted