1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATED: So, now I'm a landlord to a deadbeat

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beanpole, May 24, 2010.

1. Re: So, now I'm a landlord

As long as I pay the rent by the 1st and respect the property, nothing else matters.

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

Bringing this one back because a year later, as the landlord-tenant thing has it me on the ass. We signed a two-year lease with a couple who had outstanding references and credit, and they managed to pay on time 3 times in 12 months. Four months ago, they split up and now the guy's living there by himself, but I refused to take her name off the lease because we'd had so much problems getting them to pay rent on time. I wanted to be able to hold them both accountable.

Now it's 13 days since the April rent was due and no check. Both of them are dodging my phone calls, too. So now I get to file a quit notice telling them to vacate because they've defaulted on the lease and chase them for past-due rent, the balance that's remaining (12 months) plus court costs. I'll never get it all, but at the very least I'll get a judgment against them.

Flying back north next week to file the eviction paperwork in court and see how badly they've trashed my little home. My heart breaks just to think about what they may have done.

Don't suppose any SportsJournalists.com peeps in central Connecticut want to rent a 3-bedroom house? Trust me, I'll make you a great deal. ... At this point, I just want to cover my mortgage.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wish you'd had this problem a year and a half ago. :(

(Sorry to hear about it. Wishing you all the best.)

4. beanpole

beanpole Member

Thanks. It sucks, but maybe we can do better next time.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

One of the biggest pains-in-the ass my parents had was when my maternal grandparents died and they rented out their house. That lasted all of 6 months before they put the house on the market. Too many headaches to deal with. And we were relatively close by, just one town over.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you rent the house out, you likely can't get future rent owned by the previous rentors.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's the thing about having a management company. If you have to fly out to where your rental property is, that's also money out of your pocket. A lot of management companies handle evictions (depending on who they are, they might charge more, though), and may even get the property ready to be rented out again.

Sorry your renters aren't working out. It's stories like that which remind me why I don't want the stress.

And worse comes to worse, hire a couple of very large goons to go over there and throw the guy out bodily. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted