1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated: So is David Gregory going to be any better than Keith or Chris?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedSmithClone, Sep 9, 2008.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Not sure if this has already been discussed, I looked for it and didn't see a thread.

If there is, I apologize.

I wasn't sure if I should post in Political topics or journalism. I went with journalism, because this is about more than politics. It's about this business we are in, and how we in print and TV are looked at nationally.

This is from Brit Hume's Political Grapevine notebook online. Posted today:
    "A major shakeup at MSNBC has yanked two controversial figures from anchoring its political coverage after complaints of bias and last place ratings during both the Democratic and Republican National Conventions. Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews have been ousted as anchors and will be replaced by White House correspondent David Gregory. Executives are hoping Gregory will deliver a more balanced assessment of the news.

Complaints about Olbermann and Matthews reached a crescendo last week when Olbermann apologized to viewers for a September 11 tribute video crafted by the RNC. He said the Republican Party exploited the memories of the dead.

Meanwhile, Matthews has been heavily criticized since saying back in February after listening to an Obama speech, "I felt this thrill going up my leg," prompting some Hillary Clinton supporters to complain that MSNBC was completely in the tank for Obama."

UPDATED: I'm not so sure he is. But that's just a personal belief.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Re: Olberman and Matthews out as political anchors!!!

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/60848/

We know.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I wonder if that upstart Barack Obama can beat Hillary Clinton in the upcoming primaries.

Start a thread on it, Clone.

4. RedSmithClone

Thanks guys. I honestly looked for it and didn't see it. I apologize.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Thread No. 4 on this.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The real Red Smith would found it.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Yes. Gregory will be an improvement. Olbermann is completely unqualified to dance and/or rap with Karl Rove:

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Olbermann should go back to ESPN---his shtick plays better there---putting him on MSNBC as a NEWS anchor makes about as much sense as voting for Al Franken for U.S. senator.

Franken should go be a community organizer first so he can then run for senator or even president.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

One would hope Fox News follows the same example, of course we know hell will have to freeze over first.

10. RedSmithClone

What example should FOX News follow?

They don't have O'Reilly or Hannity as their lead politcal anchors. What example should they follow exactly?

11. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Did Hume follow it up by saying, "Let's now go to our political analyst, Karl Rove?"

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

An utterance followed swiftly by hysterical laughter from the audience.

Draft saved Draft deleted