1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*UPDATED* RIP Coach John Wooden

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Re: John Wooden hospitalized, in "grave" condition

It's not like JFK in Dallas. Why are people in a hurry to pull the sheet? There's some value in being first on this?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, it's the era we live in. I'm glad Stern just now said he wasn't going to comment and that we're "not going write his obit."

3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Have been able to get up close and personal to listen to him speak just one time -- McDonald's All-American game in '95.

I believe both Garnett and Pierce played in that game.

Anyway, Wooden was like the Pied Piper. Could have listened to him talk for hours and hours.

He was hilarious talking about how much "fun" it would be to coach Garnett. Akin to his dealings with Walton.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Covered the Wooden Classic once and he was a gem at the press conference. Did a few phone and personal interviews with him and he was one of the nicest people I've ever interviewed. A truly classy representative for the sport. One of the great ones.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Washington Post website reported him dead and now looks to have pulled it. Really bizarre.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Holy shit. This is really, really sad, not to be mention that it is Defcon-1 at my shop.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It's really disgraceful because people with big ears, but with no reporting skills, are "hearing" things and posting on various social media sites.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Better to be first than to be right ... or so it seems these days.

Disgusting - and worse, to do this to one of the classiest acts to ever grace the sports scene ...

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

He's dead... no wait, he's not... Jesus, people, can we wait until it actually happens? I'd rather be right than first.

The college game will lose a lot of knowledge, not to mention an institution, with John's passing.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The false reports are absolutely stunning. He's 99 and obviously in bad shape. Doesn't that tell the story clearly enough?

Do they think someone is going to be impressed that Harvey's Hoops Blog was the first to confirm John Wooden had actually died?

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Could the doctors also have picked a better word to describe his condition? Man, oh man.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I don't see how anyone, in their right mind, could argue that Coach Wooden's imminent passing would be anything other than 1A news anywhere there is a peach basket nailed to a balcony.

A true legend in every sense, not just basketball. One of my fondest memories, ever, was of meeting the man and getting a few moments at his side after he gave a speech in Newport Beach I was fortunate to see.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted