1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[UPDATED] PS3, XM or Sirius Radio?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, May 1, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Re: Buying a PS3 this weekend. Any advice?

That sig does kinda fall under the category of "douchebaggery," schieza.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

It's a shout out to fans of the recent "Internet-loss" South Park. Sorry if I come across as a douche. I usually am.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't much like the sig, myself. But it IS marked. Click at your own risk. It breaks no real rules that I can find in my handy SJ pocket guide.

4. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

Get MLB The Show 08 and Call of Duty 4. Those two games are about all I play ... with GTA 4 about to join the list.

The new controller (with rumble) just came out, too. Not sure if it's packed in yet with the system. You might want to look for that.

(Yes, I need a girlfriend ... and a life)

5. schiezainc

Changed it just for you. :)

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We thank you.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You guys have one of those?

8. schiezainc

Well, ladies and gentlemen. I've hit a stalemate.

I went into Best Buy today intending on looking the PS3 over and still mulling my options. They only had the 40 GB one there (It's not backwards compatable with the PS2) and it didn't even come with a free Blu Ray movie.

Needless to say, I started wondering if it was really worth it.

I mean, I've already purchased the HDMI cables on eBay ($6) and bought a customized skin ($22), but once I started to mull it over, I began thinking about it from a logical standpoint.

Do I really need a PS3? And what am I going to use it for?

The answers were no and Blu Ray.

So, I've decided to postpone my purchasing of the system until the holiday shopping season. My birthday is two days before Thanksgiving and every year I go to BB and purchase gifts for myself for Black Friday anyway, so why not hold off until then?

Then I got to thinking even more. What could I really use the stimulus check for?

As I left the BB parking lot, it dawned on me. Well, I say that lightly. I was listening to one of the local radio stations and realized: "Wow, this F-N sucks." So I began thinking about picking up a satellite radio and getting either XM or Sirius.

The plans are affordable, I could get a radio & two years of service for far cheaper than the PS3, and until the cost of Blu Ray movies go down, I'm likely to get more out of this than out of the PS3.

So, what say you fellow sports writers?

Should I go with XM or Sirius? Should I just boycott satellite radio all together? Should I stick with the Ps3? Should I spend the money on hookers and blow?

Let me know what you would do in my shoes. I'd love to hear it.

9. I'm on the road a ton, and I'm a baseball dork, so the XM works great for me.

If you don't drive often, it's probably not as great a buy, unless you want to buy the home set as well.

10. schiezainc

On a easy day, I'm in my car for an hour and a half. On the worst of them, I can put in nearly three hours of total driving. I'd definately get good use out of it, and I'm really starting to loathe the local hacks.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

XM if you want to get it now.
    Or wait until the FCC rules on the merger and if it's approved, wait a few months until they sell radios that can get both services.
    I have my XM on now listening to the Nats-Pirates game.
    I get my money's worth.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

If you are baseball fan, XM without a second thought.

You can find great deals on the receivers on eBay, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted