1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATED info on Memorial service, fund for James Melroy (poster Tripp McNeely)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'm not sure how many Southern California SportsJournalists.com posters there are, but I wanted to let everyone here know that a memorial service for James Melroy (Tripp McNeely -- and other handles -- to the SportsJournalists.com world) will take place:

Monday, July 7
    11 a.m.
    Long Beach (Calif.) Jordan High School gymnasium.

Jordan High School address: 6500 Atlantic Ave, Long Beach, CA 90805 -- Cross Streets: Near the intersection of Atlantic Avenue and Aloha Circle

Memorial fund information:

Anyone wishing to make a donation can send a check payable to "The James Melroy Memorial Fund" and mail it to:

James Melroy Memorial Fund
    c/o The Press-Telegram
    300 Oceangate
    Long Beach, CA 90844

PM me with any additional questions.

Thanks again to all who have expressed kind words and support for a very good friend.

Claws

2. Claws for Concern

Just returned from James' memorial service and am happy to report that the day was a wonderful time to remember a great friend, son and brother. Many touching tributes and, even though I knew James for eight years (four as a co-worker), I learned a lot more about my friend. He touched so many people's lives in his 36 years and everyone who knew him, even if it was just a post on SportsJournalists.com, is better for having that connection.

Thanks again to everyone on the SportsJournalists.com thread for their support.

Claws

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Lot of good speeches at the funeral. Not a lot of suits and ties; more of a mellow occasion, with some Angels jerseys in evidence. Had I worn a Dodgers jersey, I'm sure I would have been struck down by a bolt from the blue.

They had his wheelchair next to the podium. With an Angels hat on it. Tough to look at it.

Mods, thanks very much for pinning these threads to the top. And everyone, thanks for keeping these threads above board and respectful. Many of your posts made it into the memorial tributes book that is being made.

Thanks for letting us attempt to put into words here what our friend meant to us.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Memorial fund information?

5. Claws for Concern

Memorial fund information:

Anyone wishing to make a donation can send a check payable to "The James Melroy Memorial Fund" and mail it to:

James Melroy Memorial Fund
    c/o The Press-Telegram
    300 Oceangate
    Long Beach, CA 90844

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Thank you and Claws for letting us in to find out more about James than simply a person behind an online persona. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I felt a sense of loss having never actually met him.

I'd like to think that if I had flown out there for that memorial service, I'd have found an Angels jersey to wear.

Like I told him in a PM about his grandfather, as long as we remember him, he'll never really die.

7. Claws for Concern

James' mother is obviously still struggling with the loss of her father and oldest son. She sent me a message saying that the comments of James' friends, which includes many of the SportsJournalists.com family here, have been wonderful to read.

Thanks to everyone!

8. Mateo

Mateo Member

Here's some more information:

Some of the designers came together and designed shirts to honor James, and his unique sense of humor. You can find them here.

http://www.cafepress.com/jamesmelroy

My favorite is the James Did It For The Parking. All the proceeds go to the family.

9. Claws for Concern

James' mother has created an online memorial page. If you wish to leave comments, give a flower or light a candle, please visit:

http://www.christianmemorials.com/tributes/james-melroy/

Draft saved Draft deleted