1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated: Gizmodo stole Steve Jobs' thunder (new iPhone debuted today)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Re: Steve Jobs must be pretty unhappy right now (new iPhone leaks)

Can we now finally say the idea that Apple planned to leak this was ludicrous?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The cops took his gadgets! How will he survive?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So will traditional media stick up for Gizmodo or will they abandon them because they pay for stories?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) What is "traditional media"? 2) "Stick up," how?

5. YankeeFan

Please. You don't know the answers to these questions?

A journalist's home was raided as a result of a story he ran.

If the offices of the New York Times, Washington Post or Boston Globe had been raided after they ran a story, the rest of major media would be up in arms.

This doesn't happen leaks from the Pentagon or White House are published. Why did it happen now?

And will their be a chilling affect?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I dunno. It'll be a tough call for most tech writers, given their innate need to fellate all things Apple.

7. The Big Ragu

I'd suspect I'd know a bit more about confidentiality, attitudes toward it by journalists and various beliefs about a need for shield laws than you do. I base that on your post and your "please."

I am as big an advocate of shield laws as anyone (as people who followed the Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams threads on here can attest). And California actually has a shield law. In fact, it was applied in another case 3 or 4 years ago that involved Apple trying to get a blogger to divulge his sources about upcoming products. The court protected the guy and ruled against Apple.

A shield law, however, is not protection for someone who knowingly commits a felony. And as this thread has documented, that is what Gizmondo is accused of. If a DA can prove that Chen broke the law by knowingly buying a stolen iPhone, a shield law has no application. It doesn't matter if it is the New York Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe ... or Gizmondo. A shield law doesn't protect someone from the consequences of breaking the law.

There's nothing to stick up for, based on what he is accused of. He is being investigated for committing a felony. A reporter who talks to a source from the Pentagon or the White House and then gets leaned on to reveal his sources, hasn't been accused of breaking the law. It isn't illegal to talk to someone.

8. YankeeFan

I'm sure you do. That's why I asked the question of this audience. I didn't expect your condescending response.

You know exactly what I meant by traditional media, and you know how they respond in clear cut cases.

This case isn't clear cut. Again, that's why I asked.

No, talking isn't.

But traditional journalists receive goods that don't belong to those who hand them over all of the time.

Internal emails, memo's, etc.

And, while it may be flimsy, Gizmondo's defense is that they couldn't be sure it was an apple prototype and that once Apple formally asked for its return, they returned it.

I actually think it's pretty shocking that law enforcement would involve itself in the matter. They look to me to be carrying Apple's water.

9. Inky_Wretch

Gizmodo paid $5,000 for that phone. They knew what they were getting.

10. The Big Ragu

Trading in "information" is not illegal.

Whenever journalists are threatened with jail for not revealing sources, 99 percent of the time, it is a prosecutor trying to feret out a whistle blower. The journalist isn't accused of having broken the law. That is why journalists get up in arms about it. You haven't broken the law. You just spoke to someone on the promise of protecting their identity. And then you are threatened with jail for not going back on your promise.

This is wholly different. And it actually *is* a case for why you shouldn't pay for information or an actual item, as they did in this case, because they made themselves subject to a felony charge. Once you pay for it, it adds a new dimension, and now Chen is being accused of a crime (presumably, because that search warrant was vague about the cause for the warrant -- probably intentionally). He is being investigated for having bought (as in paid for) stolen property. If he could somehow claim journalistic immunity, ANYONE who buys stolen property and gets caught should be able to use it as an excuse. Crying, "journalist" is not a defense for breaking the law. Journalists who care about anonymous sources and shield laws want to protect the people who HAVEN'T broken any laws, but are threatened with jail.

If Chen is innocent, I hope he has every opportunity to defend himself -- if he is indicted. But the police were likely able to obtain a warrant from a judge because they had cause to believe property in his home (his computers) was used as a means of committing a felony.

11. Inky_Wretch

"But your honor, I bought the stolen Rolex for a review on my blog. I was doing journalism."

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Question: What about turning over government property, such as the Pentagon Papers?
    Ellsburg was a contributor but the document was work product that was the property of the
    U.S. Dept. of Defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted