1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: Uh-oh! CMU, EMU and now WMU in big trouble thanks to Rich Rod!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by armageddon, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Re: Uh-oh! Cental Michigan, or some other smaller football program, in trouble

Say goodbye to getting to interview freshmen, even just on Media Day.

2. Re: Uh-oh! Cental Michigan, or some other smaller football program, in trouble

As a duly-appointed representative of the great state of West By God Virginia let me be the first to say ..

Ha Ha!

3. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

I actually think Schad did a better job of adding to the story than anyone in the Michigan media outside the Freep.

He got two starters on last year's Michigan team - one off the team (graduated? nfl?), one still in school - to confirm the story is true. One of them said he'd tell the NCAA if they asked.

And the fact that they were starters on last year's team is more details on the sourcing than in the Free Press report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4431717

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Jim: Is it possible the Freep knew they were starters and chose not to ID them that way, in an effort to protect?

I'd think about doing that if I had written the story.

5. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Oh, it's possible, probably even probable, and for good reasons.

But I think it's noteworthy that ESPN quickly got the story confirmed independently and added to it a little. Nobody else did.

If I'm a fan, it's very interesting to me that two starters confirmed it, as opposed to perhaps two backups who quit the team.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A lot of the fans comments said it was a stupid story, that it never should have been done and that the players are just a bunch of babies because they don't want to work hard.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Cleveland State's coach just kicked his dog and has no idea why. :)

RRod sounds like he built himself quite the house of cards.

RB

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, of course. Who cares that the players getting beat up, have no time to study (which should be their real purpose at Michigan), and that it's against the rules (for once, an NCAA rule that I agree with).

They gotta win games, and beat Ohio State (not necessarily in that order), so that their fans can feel good about themselves while living in $100 houses.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly. Breaking the 20 hour rule doesn't surprise me at all, what surprises me is that Michigan's own current players were so wiling to rat the program out. That, far more than the violation, tells me somthing rotten's going on there.

10. Re: Uh-oh! Cental Michigan, or some other smaller football program, in trouble

I'm a graduate student at Michigan, and at my age, hardly a fanboi.

But I'm ticked this morning that the administration is letting a football coach embarrass the university. I pay a lot of money to go here, a tradeoff for the place's tremendous reputation. I'll be damned if Rich Rodriguez should be permitted to soil that.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Ain't that the truth. Covering a college football team just got a hell of a lot more difficult.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And Bill "Who do ya think helped provide the free or discounted apartments when the baseball team went on probation 20 years ago?" Martin should be kicked to the curb as well...

Draft saved Draft deleted