1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE to UPDATE: The "word" has been received

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Today, I'm supposed to get the word on whether I can fill the vacancy I'm going to have on my staff when a guy leaves in three weeks.

Even if I get the go-ahead — which is certainly no better than a 50-50 chance at this point — I can't help wondering if anyone would even want to come to this depressed market for nights, including 95 percent of Fridays and Saturdays, for $26,000 a year? ???

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: Today's the day... but, is it worth it for anyone?

I bet you you have more than 100 resumes to go thru.

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Nice that you have three weeks' notice that someone's leaving.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

MMS: Some unique circumstances led to it being revealed. It wasn't him giving three weeks' notice. But it will work out OK, IF I get the OK to fill his spot, though. I'm not getting my hopes up, based on track record and the climate of our industry.

BYH: It will be interesting to see if you're correct, should it come to fruition.

5. Re: Today's the day... but, is it worth it for anyone?

I'd put the over/under on resumes a little higher.
    Folks are desperate out there.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

FB: It's just I almost feel guilty asking anyone to come here for those kinds of wages. This area isn't exactly Paradise. I guess the only good thing is the cost of living is very low, too.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Just do what many others in your position do (myself included). Give them the good and the bad. Great writing and editing opportunities, crappy pay. Tell them you expect them to give you two years of hard work, and then you'll help them move on to the next stop, where the money no doubt will be better.

8. Re: Today's the day... but, is it worth it for anyone?

Tell them the pay is $36,000. Then, on their first day of work, say "My bad, there was a typo. It's actually $26K."

It's too late for them to back out. Everybody wins.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If my first gig paid $26,000, I'd have thought I hit the lottery. You'll be fine.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The greater question is..is it 26K just for writing? Or is it a small paper where you have to do EVERYTHING for that much money? To me, 26K would be glorious if all I was doing was writing. Hell, it would be a massive step up.

Unless of course, your paper is in Detroit. Detroit sucks.

*Edited to fix small mistake made with one eye open while taking a dump*

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Or if you had to know the difference between your and you're.

I worked at a 12K PM paper, doing EVERYTHING. Taking photos, laying out pages, typing up roundups, proofing, writing, etc. I never even SNIFFED $26K. And I worked there five years.

That's not terrible pay for an entry-level gig, Colton. I think Fenian is right...it will be upward of 100 resumes, especially since college kids will be looking desperately for jobs if they don't have one lined up yet.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Must be nice making $26K.

Draft saved Draft deleted