1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: Sports editor's son killed in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jeff Gluck, May 8, 2006.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Re: Sports editor's son killed in Afghanistan

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Brewster family.

How tragic.

2. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

RIP.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

RIP -- My deepest condolences.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

So, so sad. They'll be in my thoughts...

I always get nervous when I see my buddy in Iraq hasn't logged on for a few days. I know he chose to go over there, but still...

5. joe

joe Active Member

Jeff,
    Thanks for the e-mail today, and thanks for posting this. The day after my last day in March, Lou took me to lunch. We talked about a lot of things, his son being a prominent topic of discussion. I know his helicopter had been fired on before -- and I have know idea what the cause of his crash was -- and I know it was a source of concern for Lou, even though he didn't dwell on it. It was obvious how proud Lou was of his son. My god. What a tragedy. I feel so bad for Lou and his wife and their other children. So sad. So sad.
    Joe

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My condolences to Louis, whom I was lucky enough to get to talk to a little bit in January. A great guy, completely living up to what I'd heard of him.

My thoughts are with him and his family.

7. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Apparently a scholarship fund in Bryan's name is in the works, so I will be sure to pass along more information on that when I get it.

The flags were lowered to half-staff at work today, which I thought was very moving.

I'm really heartbroken over this. If any of you know Louis, he is just a quality person. He's gone to bat for me personally several times in different situations, and really takes an interest in helping other people and being a major part of the community. It's a tragedy when something like this happens to anyone; but to see it happen to someone like Louis and his family just seems like the cruelest of cruel.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This story is big news in my neck of the woods.

It's sad to say, you pay a little more attention when something happens to someone from around your area.

RIP.

9. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

The services for Bryan are set for tomorrow (Monday) morning. There has been so much response and support for the family, some PR people are lending their help to get the word out (and stop the local TV media from making it into a circus).

Here's some info from the release:

And there's this...

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's been said before, but it rings true: No parent should ever have to bury his/her child.

My prayers go out to the Brewster family.

11. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I'm very sorry to read this, and I hope the Brewster family comes through this okay. God bless and my condolences.

12. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

my condolences, and remember your son for how he lived and not how he died.

Draft saved Draft deleted