1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: Sports editor's son killed in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jeff Gluck, May 8, 2006.

1. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

I'm posting this because many of you are familiar with our sports editor, Louis Brewster.

His son Bryan was killed in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan. The family was informed yesterday.

Please keep the Brewster family in your thoughts.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_3796882

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: Sports editor's son killed in Afghanistan

Man that sucks.
    Please pass along my condolences, and those from the SportsJournalists.com community. I think I can safely speak for all of us on this one.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

Yes. That's very, very sad.

These stories have had a much greater effect on me since I've had my first child. It's a cliche, but it fits: I can't even imagine how terrible that must be.

I hope the family manages okay.

P.S. It's probably in vain, but here's hoping that this thread doesn't get political. I hope for once we can just offer our support for a father and mother who've lost their son, a brother who's lost his brother, and a wife who's lost her husband.

4. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

This is very sad news. The family is in my prayers.

I had a realtive who was in a tank in Iraq and it hit a landmine. Thankfully, my relative was OK, walking away with just a back injury. The other troops in the vehicle survived as well. Some were hurt more than others.

I'm also praying that we do not go to war with Iran, because any troops who are back home, thinking they are finished serving, likely will be called back to duty.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

One of our frequent and esteemed posters here has a son stationed in Afghanistan. Every time I hear about casualties there, I just pray for him and his family.

I cannot imagine the magnitude of the loss.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Very sad. This shows it isn't just "other people" who are affected.

Jeff, if you can, pass along some way we can all send condolences.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, that's rough shit...

RIP and my prayers to his family...

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

7 posts and no wise-ass comments yet. I'm proud of us.

RIP, dude, whoever you may be. If my kid was over there, I'd be having heart attacks every time the phone rang.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

When Desert Storm started, I know my mom was literally unable to watch the news for fear something bad was happening to me over there. When my ship appeared, large as life, in Time magazine, her heart skipped. Luckily for her, that part of the war ended quickly.

As a parent, I simply cannot imagine this family's loss. As with all military people who die while on duty, my deepest sympathies to the family.

10. lono

lono Active Member

RIP. Our hearts and prayers go out to the Brewster family.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

condolences. i can't even imagine how awful it must be for the family.

for me, i hear on the radio or see the tagline on cnn.com 'two american soldiers killed today' or 'one marine dead in basra' and i just tune out because i don't know anyone over there. i'm not proud of this, but it's not like we can all stop to grieve any time someone dies. this kind of thing, when it's someone you have a connection with -- if only a tenuous link through a quasi-anonymous message board -- makes you think about all the loved ones lost over there.

it's tragic. my condolences to the family.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Story sounds like he served our country well. He will, no doubt, be missed.

Condolences.

Draft saved Draft deleted