1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: So, I (no longer) have a computer virus ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, Jul 3, 2009.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Got a nasty "Security System" virus the other day, that is not allowing me to start my computer -- even in safe mode. I attempted to run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware but no luck (I just double-clicked it and nothing).

Best Buy is telling me $200 to get the virus removed, but my CPU is 3-4 years old and the wife and I are thinking about a laptop to replace our desktop, anyway.

What do ya'll suggest?

If we go the laptop route, any deals you know of? Any suggestions about the virus?

UPDATE: Took it to a local computer guy who basically wiped the system and rebooted my stuff. Dropped $60 and he installed some cool free programs that will help keep the CPU clean ... oh, and I learned that Comcast offers McAfee for free as long as I am a customer. Back in business, baby!

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: So, I have a computer virus ...

Get. A. Mac.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Beat me to it, ya bastard.

4. Re: So, I have a computer virus ...

Only if you front me the extra $600 it costs to get one.

Mac's aren't cost effective.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

They are if you figure in that you have to pay someone $200 or replace your computer every time you get a virus.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

If you're thinking about replacing the unit, which is three to four years old, think of it like a car - would you pay 25% of its purchase price at the end of its life to try to get it working at 90% capacity?

You're best off scouting out new models and picking up a new computer at this point, especially if your'e already looking. The only thing you might need is stuff off the old computer, but if you can deal without it, then it's an especially easy decision.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Do you have a recovery disk?

8. Re: So, I have a computer virus ...

Never had that problem.

Can I thank Norton?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Or keep the cheap hardware and love the penguin ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Re: So, I have a computer virus ...

you should never have to pay anybody $200 to remove a virus

assuming you didn't have virus protection, contact norton or one of the other companies and they'll clean it out for you if you agree to buy their product for a year -- $50 or so

of course, if you backed up all your data, which is incredibly easy now (you can do it on-line with carbonite or another on-line backup system), just re-format your hard drive and slap everything back on it and you're good as new

failing all of this, the best way to zap a virus is by booting from an anti-virus disk

if you need a computer, fine, go ahead ... but don't buy one just because you have a virus

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Only if you get a Mac that's purely a Mac - not one of those hybrid Macs that can also run Windows software. Those Macs are susceptible to the same viruses as PCs are when they run in Windows mode.

12. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

That's a common virus going around. This program (http://www.combofix.org/) is really helpful at getting rid of it, though it's best to run it in Safe Mode, which you said you're not able to do. (Guide, here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix) One thing you can try is http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ and ask the question there. They will have you download a program called Hijack This, which will create a report of every process running on your computer, and then they'll walk you through it step-by-step.

Do not, however, run ComboFix.exe unless you absolutely know what you're doing. It has the potential to make things a lot worse for you if you just run it just to run it. (But like I said, it's generally the fix for this kind of problem, and is probably where the guys will ultimately point you toward once you show them the report. They'll know exactly what to do with it and can walk you through it.)

Edit: Oh, and don't listen to all the PC haters out there. They're just computer n00bs. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted