1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: Riverside P-E Staff Writer FILLED

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dave_Ammenheuser, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Re: Riverside Press-Enterprise Staff Writer

Hi folks. Couple of things:
    1. Our Schools Writer position is still open. Still accepting applications. Plan to narrow the field in a week.
    2. Why wouldn't I accept the applications/resumes? I am the SE in Riverside. We've built a terrific staff here. A staff that I think is great. We're moving into a new state-of-the-art 150,000 square-foot building in the spring.
    3. I don't think it's cool to out people who are searching for jobs. But, as Richmond Hack stated, I was there, so it's public knowledge. There are good candidates for the position, internally and externally.
    That's all I am going to say about the RTD position.
    Anyone want any more info on The PE job, PM me ... get the resumes to us fast.
    dave

2. batts

batts Member

Re: Riverside Press-Enterprise Staff Writer

I understand what you're saying Moddy. Good points all. It just seemed fishy to me that someone would create a login just to let the cat out of the bag.

3. ronalong

ronalong Guest

Anyone know what it costs to rent in Riverside, Ca? Also, is traffic an issue? I heard horror stories about traffic jams in So Cal.

4. Re: Riverside Press-Enterprise Staff Writer

Doubt that's the case. Definitely seemed like a naive kid who doesn't understand board ettiquette, what SportsJournalists.com is all about, how many people actually read this site, etc.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My guess is it is a regular who didn't want it to be known that he is in Richmond.  Had the post been derogatory about Dave, I would have taken another view.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Riverside is in the Inland Empire, which is about 50 to 60 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. While there are a couple of spots where traffic is a problem and my commute home seems to be a little more crowded each year, there is no way the traffic problems resemble Los Angeles in terms of degree. For someone covering preps, it won't be much of a factor

Rents are also lower than Los Angeles, but salaries will also likely to be lower.

It is my opinion that southern California is a really tough area for a sportswriter and not a good area for sports pages and newspapers in general. The LA Times will often have an eight-page sports section. The ratio of daily newspapers to population is such that there are probably fewer newspapers. To make things worse, Singleton (LA Newspaper Group) owns eight papers and they have one person covering major beats for eight newspapers. I'll give Dave credit for letting some of his local guys do backup covering bigger beats, but the Press Enterprise is owned by Belo and not much more needs to be said - even though there is an opening in Riverside, they just laid off a lot of people in editorial.

Batts, you have one helluva nerve looking at the jobs board and then trying to chill discussion - and that is what you were trying, make no mistake about it. Do you think people didn't talk about moves before the internet? You're just not being honest here. The one thing this board does is make things more democratic because more people have access to information. If big jobs open up, there is going to be speculation.

Grow up.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

As transparent as this business tries to be in news coverage, it's just the opposite when it comes to how that relates to individuals in the business. No, you don't tell your bosses you are looking elsewhere, because that can be used against you and will be remembered. Dave is a fellow mid-career professional looking out for himself and his family. Speculation is human nature, but since few of us will stay in one job our entire careers, we all can relate to how silly it is to publicly out people pursuing better (different) jobs.

8. batts

batts Member

Well, then. Consider me checked. Whatever.

Even if it wasn't known on the Richmond thread, it's still a bush move. Show some courtesy, PM the guy with a question like that. Do you want your every job flirtation posted on a message board? Dave's a nice enough guy to respond to PMs or direct e-mails, which was on the original post for crying out loud. I'm just saying there's other ways of obtaining info than broadcasting the question in the manner it was broadcast.

9. Re: Riverside Press-Enterprise Staff Writer

So is this the week finalists will be contacted for this job?

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Yet Pat Forde and Eric Crawford won an APSE for doing exactly that. . .

11. Re: Riverside Press-Enterprise Staff Writer

Has anyone heard back from The Press-Enterprise?

12. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Yeah, they offered me the job and I took it just to spite you.

Better luck next time, newbie.

Draft saved Draft deleted