1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: Riverside P-E Staff Writer FILLED

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dave_Ammenheuser, Aug 4, 2006.

1. The Press-Enterprise, Inland Southern California's largest daily newspaper, is searching for a new member to join our team.
    * Staff writer: The selected candidate will join our seven-member high school staff. We cover more than 100 high schools and are expanding our print schools coverage into a multi-tiered Web presence this fall. Besides high school coverage, the selected candidate could serve as a backup to our numerous college and professional beats.
    This position is open because of an internal promotion.
    The Press-Enterprise is a 190,000 daily and provides home/away coverage of the Angels, Dodgers, Lakers, USC, UCLA and UC Riverside. We also cover Padres, Chargers, Chivas USA and Galaxy home games as well as select Clippers, Ducks and Kings games. We cover more than 100 high schools and produce daily feature pages geared toward specific interest groups in our readership.
    The APSE recently honored The Press-Enterprise as one of the Top 10 daily sections (100-250K). Our goal is to repeat and add more APSE honors this year.
    What questions do you have? Send them to sports editor Dave Ammenheuser at dammenheuser@pe.com or PM me here. If you're interested in the position, please send your resume, cover letter and clips to Dave Ammenheuser, sports editor, 3512 Fourteenth Street, Riverside, CA 92501. The quicker, the better. Our goal is to fill the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
    NOTE: We found the right candidate. Positiion has been filled. Thanks to the dozens of you who applied. We're in the process of sending notes out to all who applied. --dave

2. Re: Riverside Press-Enterprise Staff Writer

Adding to previous ... and yes, bumping to the top ... We're looking to fill this position by September, if possible. I've already received several inquiries. Keep them coming.

3. RichmondHack

RichmondHack New Member

Re: Riverside Press-Enterprise Staff Writer

Dave, I was wondering if people should still send their applications to you? I know you were here a couple weeks back for an interview and you sat in on our prep meeting. It was nice to meet you, and good luck in the interview process.

I ask because this job piques my interest. Wouldn't it be weird if we just traded locations?

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

How about that everyone, some breaking news right here on our very own jobs board.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Richmond thread last week mentioned Dave interviewing there.
    And, yes, good luck with that Dave.

I am from that neck of the woods so if you have some questions, you could PM me.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Maybe this will lead to newspaper trades - a layout guy and college beat reporter for a sports editor and a preps writer to be named later :)

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, I can just see it now, deadline salary dumps by small-market papers.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

We're seeing that far too often already from large-market papers. See Morning News, Dallas, et al.

9. batts

batts Member

Nobody else finds this bullshit unprofessional?!

When we go looking for jobs we don't need some a-hole creating a login just to out us while we're looking for a job. Maybe not everyone wants that advertised. 

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't get it. Who did what?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So we're supposed to keep quiet on all job searches? I would assume anyone who flies across country to interview is professional enough to let their employer know what they're doing. That's a tough thing to keep quiet.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Let me add this, too, please batts. Everything I've heard about Dave is above board so I seriously doubt it is a problem in this case.

But that kind of information is a helpful service to those in the biz who are looking to move. If I'm looking at joining a new paper, I'd darn sure want to know if the SE is looking to get out. Part of the attraction of a new job is the person you'd be working for and with.

Dave's rep is not one of underhanded tactics so I repeat that it isn't a problem in this case.

Not everybody in the business is like that. In the Internet age, you aren't going to keep a serious job search a secret. No way.

Draft saved Draft deleted