1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: Riverside, Calif. ... Two positions

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dave_Ammenheuser, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Once again, I'd like to thank you know-it-alls for ripping on a bunch of people at the Sun and Bulletin who are doing the best they can. Nice to come on the board and start the day with this crap.

For example, it's good to know someone in Nebraska can so thoroughly evaluate our papers on a daily basis.

Hope you realize these words do have an impact on people.

2. Big Daddy

Big Daddy New Member

Re: Riverside, Calif. ... Two positions

Bean counting is an understatment if it is anything like the other Belo owned entities... It wont be long until they charge us for the paper our checks are printed on...

3. joe

joe Active Member

Fuck a duck, Jeff, grow some thicker skin. You take things way to personally. And where the hell is my "Elements of Style"?

4. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Put the bottle down...it's too early to be drinking.

Your Elements of Style book is in safe hands.

Thanks for your input on my thin skin. Just for that, it'll be another week before you get the Champ Car pictures. ;)

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

The Sun and the Daily Bulletin, like almost all mid-sized papers, have had outstanding graduates. They have also had some screw-ups over the past 20 years. Every paper does. Then there are the people who were fairly decent copy editors and such at The Sun or The Bulletin who are now maybe fairly decent copy editors and such at other places. No surprise either.
       All of this pining for the good old days by former Sun and Bulletin employees is heartwarming, but it's hardly a fair fight between the current Sun/Bulletin and the old versions ... or between The Sun/Bulletin and the Press-Enterprise. The Sun/Bulletin has like seven total writers to cover two counties and has one editor to oversee the operaton, not counting an assistant sports editor who only deals with layout. There are no agate clerks and the writers come in at night and take prep- and small-college calls after covering their games.
      There is nobody assigned to the prep badminton beat. There are no 30-hour-a-week people covering prep and JC games and doing season previews, etc. There are barely any active stringers right now. And former fairly decent copy editors and such are wringing their hands over the state of the Sun/Bulletin? Gimme a break. What it smacks more of is patting oneself on the back for past accomplishments which were never really yours to begin with.

6. Kingsley Zissou

Kingsley Zissou New Member

It's obvious that "Phoenix" doesn't have much of a concept as to what is currently taking place at The Sun/Bulletin. There ARE agate clerk(s)! What a douche. And there ISN'T a prep badminton beat. What an even bigger douche.

There is one thing, though, that "Phoenix" did get right.

If there was actually a fight between old and new employees, or even more obtusely, one between the Sun and the P.E., it certainly wouldn't be a fair. For one, the old Sun employees are just that, OLD, and, outside of one or two, would get their asses totally kicked. And the P.E.?!?! You've made me laugh. They're mostly women and men who more closely resemble women.

As for your last sentence "Phoenix"... it should be discounted completely. NEVER end a sentence is a preposition. If possible, it makes you look even more foolish than each of your previous statements combined. Where you at?

7. iancahir

iancahir Member

OK, that was hilarious. Zissou, Phoenix was actually defending people who work at the sun/bulletin now, not bashing them. His assertion was that people like me pine for the old days when they are long gone and should be forgotten. He's right, now that I think about it. He also took a shot at those of us who worked on the desk there, saying that we're trying to take credit when all we did was sit and pound an Atex machine. That part's only mostly true. We were a good desk that wrote a lot, too, and designed a lot of good stuff in a Draconian set of design guidelines.

The other hilarious part was your assertion that the old sun people are old. I'm 33. I'd say most of us who were there in the early 1990s are under 40, with a few exceptions. We'll make it like the Jets and the Sharks, if you want, but that's not really an answer.

I will go back into lurker mode forever now. I should have known better than to say anything about this place. What's funny is how negative this board is. And I got sucked in. It's amazing that someone on this board with an anonymous login will tell high-up managers from places like Atlanta and Chicago and Orlando that their sections are pieces of shit when most of us would give our right arm to work for any of them. My Inland Empire comments were based on a dislike of Singleton and San Bernardino in general. And I would never be cowardly enough to talk that much shit to people behind a pseudonym. There are people on this board who know me (like 6. I'm not out there, like some), and they'll be able to tell you plenty about how good/bad I am. And that's OK. I'm OK, because I'm proud of my work and where I've been, and I don't need to hide myself or my opinion.

Commence flaming, but I won't be responding.

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Well this won't help things on 14th Street.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/05/18/news/californian/riverside/21_24_085_17_06.txt

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Another reason to speak spanish, folks. That spanish-speaking paper won't be cut.

10. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Especially not in the IE.

11. oldfart

oldfart Member

Anyone still interested in the motor sports job might want to dust off their resume and send it along. That position will be open on July 2. However, given the recent staff reductions and the shift of emphasis to specialized Internet pages, it's hard to say what the plans are in that area

12. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

A month later, but I heard through the grapevine, the number was closer to 80. Not 50.

Draft saved Draft deleted