1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: Riverside, Calif. ... Two positions

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dave_Ammenheuser, Dec 23, 2005.

1. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Re: Riverside, Calif. ... Two positions

Do you think they're looking for a veteran motorsports writer on this one or can a young guy like me who's first beat was covering dirt track racing and has some NAASCAR exp. be a possibility???? Maybe Mr. Ammenhueser can best answer this question. It seems whoever gets this will be taking over for one of the regions better motorsports guys.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

They tend to hire young.

3. westcoastwriterguy

westcoastwriterguy New Member

Anyone know anything about this paper?
    I've asked around, and I haven't heard anything that would make me want to apply.
    Just trying to get more opinions

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It's a pretty good medium-sized paper. They're now under corporate (Belo) ownership, so there's a bean-counting component to the place. It also has a little bit of a "we've always done it that way" attitude. It's generally a good place to work and the pay is livable. Joe Bob says check it out.

5. Our motorsports/GA position will be filled in the summer. Our staff writer has delayed his retirement until that time (and we're quite happy he did).
    ==
    The copy desk/pagination/web position is still open. Call me if you are interested. 951 368-9520 or e-mail at dammenheuser@pe.com.
    -- Dave Ammenheuser, SE, Riverside.

6. UPDATE:
    Copy desk position has been filled.
    Motorsports position will be filled in coming months.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Can you reveal the new hire?

8. hacksaw

hacksaw New Member

I'll take that as a `no.'

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Riverside is a step or two up from San Bernardino, albeit the heat and smog are about the same.

The biggest difference is the crime (at least when I was there) is more specifically located than in San Berdoo. When I was there (late 70s), even the Police helicopters wouldn't fly over Casa Blanca. And the Eastside is where the rest of the crime seemed to be (where I lived, 'natch).

It's been a long time, but even then, the paper was one of the best in the state.

10. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Like you said, it's been a long time.

11. nebraska_rules

nebraska_rules New Member

I've been in touch with them a couple of times about prep positions. I've said here before that they're a class act. I stick behind it. Some (Left Coast, etc.) beat on them because The PE won't hire them. The truth is this sports section is among the best in SoCal. They were recently named one of the Top 10 dailies in 100-250K by APSE, a first for the paper. It's much better than the SB Sun/Ontario Bulletin. It's not close.

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

It's not saying much at the PE is better than the Sun/Bulletin. As for them not hiring me: I work at a much later paper that pays me a lot more money than the PE would ever pay me. But good guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted