1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: Riverside, Calif. ... Two positions

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dave_Ammenheuser, Dec 23, 2005.

1.    WE'VE FILLED THE COPY DESK POSITION. WE'RE IN THE PROCESS OF GOING THROUGH RESUMES FOR THE MOTORSPORTS/GA POSITION. WE"RE LOOKING TO FILL THIS POSITION IN EARLY SUMMER.
    -- DAVE A.
      The Press-Enterprise, Inland Southern California's largest daily newspaper, is searching for two new members to join our team.
       * Motorsports/GA writer: Our area is home to California Speedway, which hosts two NASCAR races per season. We're also home to several local oval tracks and dragways. The writer will supply copy for a weekly racing feature page, as well as cover the important stories surrounding motorsports in Southern California. Candidates should be equally adept at writing a local racing feature, as well as a writing a profile of a NASCAR driver. The candidate will also be charged with writing enterprise pieces for A1.
       The selected applicant will also serve as a backup to our many college and professional beats.
       * Copy editor/paginator/web producer: As we continually add more web content to our Sports Day platform, we're adding a staff member who may paginate inside pages one day, then serve as our web producer the next. (This person would serve as the web producer when our full-time web producer is off.) Knowledge of CCI editorial system and/or knowledge of how to produce audio slide shows and flash presentations would be major pluses.
       The Press-Enterprise provides home/away coverage of the Angels, Dodgers, Lakers, USC, UCLA and UC Riverside. We also cover Padres, Chargers, Chivas USA and Galaxy home games as well as select Clippers, Ducks and Kings games. We cover more than 100 high schools and produce daily feature pages geared toward specific interest groups in our readership.
       What questions do you have? Send them to sports editor Dave Ammenheuser at dammenheuser@pe.com or PM me here. If you're interested in one of the positions, please send your resume, cover letter and clips to Dave Ammenheuser, sports editor, 3512 Fourteenth Street, Riverside, CA 92501.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Re: Riverside, Calif. ... Two positions

What happened to Jim Short?

3. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I have seen this paper on several occasions and each time and I am very impressed with their layout and coverage.

4. oldfart

oldfart Member

You don't get out much, do you?

5. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

Can anyone tell me this paper's circulation?

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

PRESS-ENTERPRISE, RIVERSIDE CO. (RIVERSIDE P.O.) SUN DLY 179,390
    PRESS-ENTERPRISE, RIVERSIDE CO. (RIVERSIDE P.O.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 177,857
    PRESS-ENTERPRISE, RIVERSIDE CO. (RIVERSIDE P.O.) SAT M DLY 170,175

7. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-simers25dec25,1,6851730.column?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I have never met Shav, but that Times story makes him seem like he'd be one of the best people to enjoy a beer with.
    I sure hope when my career is over that someone will write something like that about me.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I know Jim Short very well and a more professional, NICE guy you'd be hard pressed to find. I think the world of the guy, dating to when I worked at the P-E as a part-timer and Jim would not only go to bat for me on assignments, but pass out advice about everything without being arrogant or snobby.

You couldn't say the same for several of his counterparts at the time.

On top of that, the guy turned out professional, readable copy on everything and anything from USC football to -- of course -- everything that made turns.

11. georgealfano

georgealfano Guest

I always liked seeing Jim Short at any event. He was a straight shooter and fun to be around. He will be missed.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not to threadjack, but the paper lost a great guy this week in their recruiter and AME, Ray Griffith. A really good journalist and even better guy.
    I met Jim Short once or twice at California Speedway and he seemed like a good guy. A paper always seems to lose a bit of a spark/kick when longtime writers leave because of the knowledge of the area and familiarity for the readers.

Draft saved Draft deleted